Former Girard funeral director found dead

Patrick McClurkin’s death under investigation

GIRARD — A former Girard funeral director was found dead this past weekend inside a vehicle parked in his driveway on Abbey Street.

According to a police report, Patrick McClurkin, 53, of 30 Abbey St., was found unresponsive by his neighbors around 6:40 a.m. Saturday in the passenger seat of his black Chevy Cruze. One of the neighbors, Michael Magazine, told police he last saw McClurkin around 5 p.m. Friday, he did not see anyone else at the home and the victim lived alone.

The police report states McClurkin’s seat belt was off, but still partially around his right arm inside the vehicle. After going inside, officers found McClurkin’s wallet and a key fob for the Cruze with a house key attached on the kitchen table. They also found a cell- phone charging on the fireplace in the family room and a Vape pen containing marijuana on the coffee table, the report states.

After the ambulance and coroner’s office arrived, McClurkin’s wife, Karla Kenneally-McClurkin, showed up at the house and she was given the house keys and vehicle keys.

On Sunday afternoon, Kenneally-McClurkin was interviewed at the Girard Police Department and she told officers she was at Station Square restaurant with lots of family members at 6 p.m. Friday. She said she had spoken with McClurkin earlier in the day Friday and he planned to go to Girard Cemetery to install a placard on a headstone, the police report states. The placard was found in the trunk of the car.

Kenneally-McClurkin told police McClurkin had gone to Walmart to get ice cream, possibly with Magazine, later Friday afternoon. Police found a receipt from Walmart inside the car that showed the purchase was made at 7 p.m. Friday for $2.24, but it was not clear what the purchase was, the report states.

Police Chief John Norman said Wednesday the cause of death is under investigation by Trumbull County Coroner’s Office, but it does not appear to be foul play or suspicious.

McClurkin had been a co-owner of McClurkin’s Funeral Home in Youngstown and Girard. Licenses for both Patrick and his brother, Robert McClurkin, were suspended after charges were filed against the brothers over allegations of swindled money from their clients in 2013. They were ordered to pay back the money they stole from clients who had prepaid for their funerals.

Kinnick Funeral Home took over the Girard funeral home location. The Youngstown location, which formerly was McVean and Hughes and later became McVean, Hughes and McClurkin, across from Ursuline High School, remains vacant.