×

City eyes millions for demolition, road work

Leveling of vacant hospital included in $19.7M projects

WARREN — Construction and demolition projects valued at more than $19.7 million are on the books to begin in the city, including the demolition of the vacant St. Joseph Riverside Hospital structure, various street repair projects, continuation of a street signalization project and the improvement of sidewalks and curb cuts.

According to a report provided by city engineer Paul Makosky, the upcoming projects include a walkway overlooking the Mahoning River, road resurfacing projects, utility repairs and the removal of the Summit Street dam.

A few projects highlighted in the 2022 Engineering Department capital plan include the $3,225,500 dam removal and $1,700,000 for the renovation of Warren City Hall, its law department and its information technology buildings, all of which began in 2021.

Total costs for the 2022 Engineering Department capital projects are estimated to be $19,789,560, according to Makosky. The local share of the 16 projects is $7,360,706.

At $5 million, the demolition of St. Joseph Riverside Hospital is expected to be the highest cost of all the projects, with $2.5 million coming from Ohio Environmental Protection Agency grant and the remaining $2.5 million being paid for with American Rescue Plan Act funds.

Removal of Summit Street dam, which began in June 2021, is expected to have a total cost of $3,225,500. Warren was approved to receive a $1,725,500 grant through the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency Water Pollution Control Loan Fund. In addition, Eastgate Regional Council of Governments obtained $1.5 million from the state to provide the local share needed for the project. Actual dam and sediment removal is expected to be done by the end of 2023, according to the report.

Two 2022 road resurfacing programs are expected to have a total cost $4,775,000. One will cost $1,275,000, with the Ohio Public Works Commission providing 54 percent or $688,500 of the funds. The remainder, 46 percent, will be paid for with money from the city’s general fund, $293,250, and Community Development Block Grants, $293,250.

This road resurfacing project is for portions of Heather Lane, Dunstan Drive, Ohio Avenue , First Street, Third Street, Burton Street, Kenilworth Avenue, Woodbine Avenue, Meadowbrook Avenue and Central Parkway.

The second resurfacing program is $2.5 million with $1.5 million from the general fund, $1 million from coronavirus recovery fund and $100,000 for road maintenance.

Councilman Ronald White, D-7th Ward, said he would like to see some of the money from the ARP used for road and sidewalk improvements in his ward.

“We can use some of this money to help repair and replace some sidewalks and resurface even more streets than already have been scheduled to be resurfaced,” White said. “While I know that each ward has its own needs, it would go good, if possible, for ward council members to work together to get more resufacing work done. We could get large trees that are pushing up and destroying sidewalks removed.”

The city will receive $1,372,500 to do traffic signal evaluations and upgrades for the city’s 61 signalized intersections, upgrading vehicle detection, calculating and implementing signal timings and removing unwarranted signals. The costs of the project will be paid through federal Congestion, Mitigation and Air Quality Funds.

In addition, a Safe Routes to School / School Zone Signal project will allow the city to replace 20 mph school zone flasher assemblies with three new pedestrian signals for about $250,000 being provided though Safe Routes projects.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
Are you a paying subscriber to the newspaper? *
     

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today