×

No injuries after fire breaks out at Chophouse

HOWLAND — A Howland restaurant will be closed “until further notice” following an electrical fire, according to fire officials and the restaurant’s social media page.

No one was injured in the “small” Monday afternoon fire at the Chophouse, according to the restaurant’s social media page.

“We do regret to inform everyone that we will be closed until further notice as we begin the process of getting back to operational status. We will keep you all updated and inform you on the date of reopening,” the restaurant states in the post.

Kitchen staff were preparing for the restaurant’s daily opening when the fire was found, Howland fire Chief James Pantalone said.

Crews took out the wall to investigate whether the fire originated from the grill side or if it was an electrical fire, Pantalone said.

A fire stop in the wall helped to keep the contained fire from spreading to the ceiling and roof, Pantalone said.

Once employees discovered the smoke and smoldering, they contacted 911 and the Howland Township Fire Department responded, along with firefighters from Bazetta and Cortland.

“We were notified properly, people were evacuated properly and everything went according to plan,” Pantalone said.

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
     

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today