LaBrae finishes $143,000 project for school safety
LEAVITTSBURG — A new entrance area to make Bascom Elementary School safer for students and staff has been completed for the new school year.
Over the summer, work was done to change the front entrance and office areas so that anyone who comes to the building is buzzed in and then goes directly inside the office.
Before the work was done, people who buzzed in would have had to walk around a corner and down a hallway to get to the main office; now people go directly into the office.
The $143,000 renovation project was done by Murphy Construction starting in June and took two months to complete.
Superintendent Anthony Calderone said the project involved making the building safer for students in grades kindergarten to second, and for staff.
Calderone said the project involved remodeling the office, taking out walls, building new walls and rerouting visitors inside the building. The entrance is now similar to how other district school building entrances are set up, Calderone said.
The project is being paid for from permanent improvement tax revenues, and no general fund money was used for the project, officials have said.
“It is fully operational and being used.” he said.
The board approved paying $13,000 to BHSM Architects for architectural design services for the project.
In other business, the board at its September meeting:
• Approved waiving all course instructional fees for students for 2020-21 year to help families during the pandemic;
• Approved extended participation in the Ohio Department of Education’s summer meal program through Dec. 31. Students will continue to receive free meals;
• Approved a school resource agreement with Warren Township trustees and police department for resource officer for the schools at $60,249;
• Approved a shared services agreement for web hosting services with Lordstown school district;
• Approved the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Program grant of $35,471 allocated by U.S. Department of Agriculture to provide fresh fruit and vegetables for students;
• Entered into an agreement with Cadence Care Network for providing school social work services for students.