Youngstown man gets 21 years on federal convictions

YOUNGSTOWN — A Youngstown man who was the subject of a massive manhunt in Youngstown in the spring was sentenced to more than 21 years in prison on federal felony charges.

Federal court officials said Luis Cruz-Ramos, 30, who pleaded guilty earlier this year to one count each of assaulting federal officers, brandishing a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence and failing to register as a sex offender, was sentenced Tuesday.

“This defendant is a threat and does not belong in society,” said Carole S. Rendon, acting U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio.

Cruz-Ramos was wanted on an arrest warrant and allegedly assaulted two special deputy U.S. Marshals on April 1 in Youngstown, according to the indictment. Cruz-ramos also failed to register as a sex offender between 2013 and 2016 after traveling to Ohio from Puerto Rico, court documents said.

Ramos also was indicted in Mahoning County of one count of failure to comply with order of a police officer, 10 counts of felonious assault with five firearm specifications and another firearm specification on a resisting arrest count, and a count of possessing weapons as a convicted felon.

He was supposed to plea to the local charges Wednesday, but his attorney said he changed his mind and now will go on trial next year.

Members of the U.S. Marshals Northern Ohio Violent Fugitive Task Force spotted Cruz-Ramos April 1 walking near his home at Lowell Avenue and Rush Boulevard on the south side of Youngstown, according to police. Officers said they saw the man carrying a weapon during the chase. Cruz-Ramos was shot in the leg by a task force member while running along Maywood Avenue, police reports said.

news@tribtoday.com

COMMENTS