Panel discussion topic to be race, Jewishness
The Seeing Eye
Black and Jewish in America will be held 6 to 8 p.m. Monday at the Jewish Community Center. The panel will help launch more discussions in the Youngstown area on the topic of Jewishness and race. The panel will address issues of Jews, race, whiteness in America and also in Israel and Palestine. Panelists include April Baskin, Rebecca Piere and Dr. Jane Gordon. For information, call 330-941-1603.
MVHS FUNDRAISER: The Mahoning Valley Historical Society will hold the sixth annual Cookie Table and Cocktails event Feb. 24 at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Social Hall, 343 Via Mt. Carmel, Youngstown. Over 50 professional and amateur bakers are donating cookies to the cookie contest judged by community leaders. The event is being organized by the Young Leaders Advisory Board, a group within the Mahoning Valley Historical Society comprised of members that are promoting MVHS programming beyond the museum sites and in the community. The purpose of the event is to raise funds for ongoing exhibit and educational programming at the Tyler History Center. Over $50,000 has been raised since the event began in 2013. Bakers are still being accepted and asked to provide between 8-12 dozen cookies and receive one free ticket to the event. Bakers can sign up at www.mahoninghistory.org. The event also includes a silent auction, basket raffle. Tickets are now on sale at www.mahoninghistory.org or by calling 330-743-2589.
RELAY FOR LIFE FUNDRAISER: The fifth annual Warren Relay for Life quarter auction to benefit the American Cancer Society will be Feb. 24 at the Hippodrome in Warren. Doors open at 6 p.m. There will be a quarter auction, silent auction, basket raffle, 50-50. Those attending can wear country and western attire. For tickets, call 330-719-5154 or 330-540-9275.
COUNCIL COLLECTING ITEMS: The Champion Pride Council is holding its annual spring food drive collection Wednesday to March 22. Food collection sites include all Champion school buildings.
• Purple Heart meeting — 7 p.m., Disabled American Veterans, 2044 Youngstown Road SE, Warren.
• Lupus Support Group — 7 p.m. Trumbull Regional Medical Center, Conference Room B, 1350 E. Market St., Warren.
• Mosquito Creek Woodcarvers — 7 p.m. Lake Vista Clubhouse, 303 N. Mecca St., Cortland. 330-442-9669.
• Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, Warren, gives out supplemental bags of food and clothing from 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m.
• Tuesday Morning Recovery — 10:30 a.m., Meridian Place, 1184 N. Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Attitude of Gratitude — 12:30 p.m., Beatitude House, 1370 Tod Ave., Warren.
• Women in Progress — 7 p.m., Serenity Place, 21 E. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Tuesday Night Surrender — 7:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Nicotine Anonymous — 5:30 p.m., St. Joseph Warren Hospital Warren Room, 627 Eastland Ave. SE, Warren.
• Celebrate Recovery — 6:30 p.m., Fowler Community Church, 4651 state Route 305, Fowler, 12-step faith-based program. 330-550-3393.
• Smalltown Recovery Al-Anon Family Group — 6:30 to 8 p.m., Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• TOPS Ohio 1694, Champion — weigh-in 5:15 p.m., meeting 6 p.m., St. John Lutheran Church, 5734 Mahoning Ave. NW, Champion. Call 330-502-8483.
• Kickin’ It In Kinsman, a Narcotics Anonymous meeting — 7 p.m., Kinsman Presbyterian Church, 6383 Church St., Kinsman.
• Girard-Liberty Rotary — 6 p.m., Amen Corner, 21 W. Main St., Girard, 330-539-5837 or 330-545-5694.
• Girard-Liberty Kiwanis Club — 6:30 p.m., Golf Dome, 1300 N. State St., 330-545-1338.
• Stephen Foster Chorus — singing group for men, 7 p.m., Warren SCOPE Center, 375 N. Park Ave., Warren. 330-652-5739.
• Food Addicts Anonymous — 7 p.m., Grace Lutheran Church, 162 S. Raccoon Road, Austintown. Call 330-793-1599.
• Al-Anon — 9:30 a.m. First Presbyterian Church of Warren, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, 9 a.m. beginner’s meeting.
• Urban 4-H — 5:30 pm., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• TOPS OHIO 1374 — weigh-in 8:45 a.m., First Church of God, 426 W. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• TOPS OHIO 1165 — weigh-in 8:30 a.m., meeting 9 a.m., First United Methodist Church, 309 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• TOPS 1060 — weigh-in 6 p.m., meet at 6:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Champion Rotary Club — noon, Wayside Inn.
• Codependency and Grief for those who have lost loved ones to alcohol or drug abuse, 7 p.m. Care Center of the Kelley-Robb-Cummins Funeral Home, 709 N. Main St., Hubbard. Call 330-534-1952.
• Historic Perkins Homestead Neighborhood Association — 6:30 p.m., Kinsman House, 303 Mahoning Ave., Warren. 330-507-8831 or 330-392-0863.
• Youngstown Area Parents, Families, and Friends of Lesbians and Gays — 6:30 p.m., St. John Episcopal Church, 323 Wick St., Youngstown. 330-747-2696 or email Pflagy@gay.com.
• Ladies Auxiliary Unit 700 — 6:15 p.m. Howland American Legion Post 700, 8273 High St. NE, Howland.
• SOAR Chapter 28-4, American Welding Retirees Local 1574 — 10:30 a.m., United Steel Workers 1375 Union Hall, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• NAMI Family Support Groups — 7 p.m., D&E Center, 142 Javit Court, Austintown. 330-531-7490 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Minute by Minute Narcotics Anonymous — 7 p.m. closed discussion, First Presbyterian Church of Warren, 256 Mahoning Ave., Warren.