CHILDREN’S MENTAL HEALTH: Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health is hosting Earnestine Hargett, disability rights advocate, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. Wednesday at First Presbyterian Church, 201 Wick Ave., Youngstown. Her topic is “Understanding and Navigating the Evaluation Process Accessing Appropriate Services for Children.”
Make reservations at 330-746-0604.
LUPUS SUPPORT: The Lupus Foundation of America, Greater Ohio Chapter, will host its monthly Trumbull / Mahoning County support group meeting from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Oct. 10 at Panera Bread, 5675 Youngstown Warren Road, Niles.
Most discussions focus on the “how-tos” of living with a chronic illness.
For more information, contact the foundation at 888-665-8787 or visit www.LupusGreaterOhio.org.
OSTOMY SUPPORT: The Youngstown area ostomy support group meets 6 to 7 p.m. Oct. 10 at St. Elizabeth Boardman Health Center, Azalea Room, 8401 Market St., Boardman.
Family members and people considering an ostomy are also welcome. The group offers education, encouragement and support to anyone whose life is affected by an ostomy. Parking is free and light refreshments will be served.
For more information, contact Anna Fitzgerald at 330-480-3440 or Anna-Fitzgerald@mercy.com.
MERCY EDUCATION CLASSES: Mercy Health-Youngstown will offer Diabetes Self-Management Education classes from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Oct. 10 through 12 at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital, 1044 Belmont Ave., Youngstown.
Classes will also be held from 6 to 8:30 p.m. Oct. 17 through 19 at St. Elizabeth Boardman Hospital, 8401 Market St., Boardman; and from Oct. 24 through 26 at St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital.
These classes include a series of three sessions, three days in a row — Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday — and run for 2 1/2 to three hours each day
They’re taught by a registered nurse diabetes educator and registered dietitian nutritionist diabetes educator.
A physician referral is required to enroll. The classes are not free but most insurance plans cover the cost. Call 330-480-2665 for help getting a referral from your physician and to register for the class.
GRIEF RECOVERY GROUPS: Grief Recovery Instructional Support Groups (GRIP) meets 7 p.m. Tuesdays at the Kelley-Robb-Cummins Funeral Home Care Center, next to the funeral home at 709 N. Main St., Hubbard. Groups, led by Philip Roland, are open to anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one.
For more information, contact Bill Cummins or Candee Cummins Svensson, owners of the funeral home, at 330-534-1952.
GRIEFSHARE: Howland United Methodist Church, 730 Howland Wilson Road NE, GriefShare sessions will be 10 a.m. to noon Saturdays. Attendees may visit at any point as each session is self-contained, but weekly attendance is encouraged.
Contact the church at 330-856-3463 for more information.
GRIEFSHARE: Churchill United Methodist Church, 189 Churchill Hubbard Road, Youngstown, is offering GriefShare to all who have had a loss in their lives. The group will meet 6 p.m. Thursday and continue each week through Dec. 14 at the church parlor on the second floor of the educational building.
Call Janice Ferry, 330-759-1924, to join or for more information.
ADDICTION HELP: Addiction help is available through Coleman Access Center, 552 N. Park Ave., Warren. For information, call 330-392-1100 or 211.
For information about program sponsor, Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board, visit www.trumbullmhrb.org or call 330-675-2765.
PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease meets 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays in Hillside’s board room, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland.
For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit vcprograms.net.
EIGHT-STEP PROGRAM: Based on the Beatitudes support group is open 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, for anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue.
For information, call 330-599-2402.
SUPPORT GROUP: Circle of Hope, a support group for those with mental health diagnosis, will meet 6:30 p.m. the second and fourth Monday of each month at Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel Ave., Warren.
For more information, contact Dave at 330-502-8103.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for a schedule.
WELLNESS CLINICS: Shepherd of the Valley is offering wellness clinics at each of its locations in Trumbull. Each site will provide a nurse to check blood pressure and blood glucose levels 10 to 11 a.m.:
• Niles, 1500 McKinley Ave., community center — second Wednesday of the month.
• Howland, 4100 North River Road, private dining area — fourth Wednesday of the month.
For information, call Matt Hoskins at 330-530-4041 or email email@example.com.
MVI HOSPICE CARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact Lisa Altman, licensed social worker, at 330-759-9487 for information.
Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month at First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren; and 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administration Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Boardman.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP: A mental health support group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Mondays monthly. For information, call the Mahoning Valley Hope Center at 330-369-3010. Transportation can be arranged.
CELEBRATE RECOVERY: Class is 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4000 W. Market St., Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-4295 for information.
QUIT SMOKING FOR FREE DIAPERS: The Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program at the Trumbull County Combined Health District offers pregnant women a free smoking cessation program and an opportunity to receive free diapers up to one year after delivery. For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District offers vaccinations to children and adults. For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support groups for people and families dealing with mental illness:
• Girard Family Support, 11 a.m. first Thursdays monthly, Girard Free Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard.
• Austintown Family Support Group, 7 p.m. second Tuesdays monthly, Alta Care building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
NAMI CONNECTION: Support group for those with mental health diagnosis meetings:
• 1:30 p.m. Thursdays, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• 6 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays monthly, Alta Care Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
• 6 p.m., second and fourth Wednesday, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• NAMI Connection for people with substance abuse and mental illness, 6 p.m. the second and fourth Wednesday, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave, Youngstown.
For information, visit namimv.org, call 330-727-9268 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCMH SCHEDULE: Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board October meeting schedule is:
• Addiction and Mental Health Program Committee, 4:30 p.m. today, Board Conference Room.
• Crisis Intervention Team Training, 8 a.m. Wednesday, TMHA First Floor Conference Room A.
• Crisis Intervention Team Training, 8 a.m. Thursday, TMHA First Floor Conference Room A.
• Crisis Intervention Team Training, 8 a.m. Friday, TMHA First Floor Conference Room A.
• Columbus Day Office Closed, Oct. 9.
• Administrative Committee Meeting, 3:30 p.m. Oct. 10, Board Conference Room.
• NAMI Mahoning Valley Steering Committee, 11 a.m. Oct. 11, Valley Counseling Services 150 East Market Street, Warren.
• Crisis Intervention Team Training, 8 a.m. Oct. 12, TMHA First Floor Conference A.
• Crisis Intervention Team Training, 8 a.m. Oct. 13, Packard Music Hall 1703 Mahoning Ave., Warren.
WELLNESS CENTER PROGRAMS: The City of Niles Wellness Center offers the following programs. To register, call the center at 330-349-9355 or email Theresa Scirocco at email@example.com or Lynda Briach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Free SilverSneakers class for members, 10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
• Yoga with Tricia, 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Bring a mat.
• Spinning class, 6:30 p.m. Mondays, 7 p.m. Thursdays, 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and 8:30 a.m. Saturdays. Free for SilverSneakers and Fitness members.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL, Eastwood Mall, Niles. Open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. Call 330-652-7542.
• Free blood pressure screenings, 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday to Thursday and 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Strong Bones Program, free 12-week program of personalized strength training for those who have osteoporosis or low bone density to improve muscle strength.
• Free carotid arteries or abdomina aortic aneruysm screening for those at risk and meet criteria, 8:30 to 11 a.m. Wednesday. Recommended for those older than 65 who are smokers or have been smokers. By appointment only.
• Flu shot clinic, 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesday. Trumbull County Health Department nurses will be administering the shots. Call for a reservation. Bring current insurance cards.
• Just Walk With a Doc event, 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. Friday. This month join Dr. Fareedah Goodwin-Capers, family practice and Youngstown Phantom hockey players doctor, around the Eastwood Mall. Free giveaways for those that register ahead of time and refreshments.