FREE HEALTH SCREENINGS: Grace AME Church, 1137 Main Ave. SW, Warren, along with Man Up Mahoning Valley and Mercy Health Foundation Mahoning Valley, are sponsoring free health screenings from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday at the church for all men older than 40.
Mercy Health lab personnel will perform a PSA blood draw and urology physicians will perform a digital rectal exam. A free dinner will be provided to screening participants.
Transportation may be available by calling 330-394-6270. To register, call Mercy Health at 330-480-3405.
SELF-HELP GROUP MEETS: Recovery International, a self-help community mental health group, will meet 7 p.m. Thursday at Christ Church Presbyterian Church, 1933 Canfield Road. For information, call 330-747-1176.
GRIEF RECOVERY GROUPS: Grief Recovery Instructional Support Groups (GRIP) will meet 7 p.m. Tuesdays at the Kelley-Robb-Cummins Funeral Home Care Center, next to the funeral home at 709 N. Main St., Hubbard. Groups, led by Philip Roland, are open to anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one.
For more information, contact Bill Cummins or Candee Cummins Svensson, owners of the funeral home, at 330-534-1952.
GRIEFSHARE: Howland United Methodist Church, 730 Howland Wilson Road NE, GriefShare sessions will be 10 a.m. to noon on Saturdays. Attendees may visit at any point as each session is self-contained, but weekly attendance is encouraged.
Contact the church at 330-856-3463 for more information.
MISSION HEALTH FAIR: Health Care workers from Washington Square Healthcare Center will volunteer their time for a Health Fair noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday at the Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave., Warren. The fair is free.
GRIEFSHARE: Churchill United Methodist Church, 189 Churchill Hubbard Road, Youngstown, is offering GriefShare to all who have had a loss in their lives. The group will meet 6 p.m. Thursday and continue each week through Dec. 14 at the church parlor on the second floor of the educational building.
Call Janice Ferry, 330-759-1924, to join or for more information.
IMMUNIZATION CLINICS: The Warren City Health District will hold its regular childhood immunization clinic 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. Sept. 25 and a special clinic 8 a.m. to noon Thursday at the health district, 258 E. Market St., Suite 327, Warren.
No appointment is necessary. Children should be well, free of fever or illness. Bring an updated shot record and an insurance card. The service may require a co-pay. For information, call 330-841-2596.
ADDICTION HELP: Addiction help is available through Coleman Access Center, 552 N. Park Ave., Warren. For information, call 330-392-1100 or 211.
For information about program sponsor, Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board, visit www.trumbullmhrb.org or call 330-675-2765.
PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease meets 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays in Hillside’s board room, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland.
For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit vcprograms.net.
EIGHT-STEP PROGRAM: Based on the Beatitudes support group is open 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, for anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue.
For information, call 330-599-2402.
SUPPORT GROUP: Circle of Hope, a support group for those with mental health diagnosis, will meet 6:30 p.m. the second and fourth Monday of each month at Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel Ave., Warren.
For more information, contact Dave at 330-502-8103.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for a schedule.
WELLNESS CLINICS: Shepherd of the Valley is offering wellness clinics at each of its locations in Trumbull. Each site will provide a nurse to check blood pressure and blood glucose levels 10 to 11 a.m.:
• Niles, 1500 McKinley Ave., community center — second Wednesday of the month.
• Howland, 4100 North River Road, private dining area — fourth Wednesday of the month.
For information, call Matt Hoskins at 330-530-4041 or email email@example.com.
MVI HOSPICE CARE: Bereavement support groups are free to anyone who has lost a loved one, including a pet. Contact Lisa Altman, licensed social worker, at 330-759-9487 for information.
Sessions are 1 to 3 p.m. the third Wednesday of the month at First Presbyterian Church of Warren Fellowship Hall, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren; and 1 to 3 p.m. the first Wednesday of the month and 6 to 8 p.m. the fourth Monday of the month at the Boardman Park Georgeanna Parker Administration Building, 375 Boardman Poland Road, Boardman.
MENTAL HEALTH SUPPORT GROUP: A mental health support group meets 6:30 to 8 p.m. the first and third Mondays monthly. For information, call the Mahoning Valley Hope Center at 330-369-3010. Transportation can be arranged.
CELEBRATE RECOVERY: Class is 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursdays at Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4000 W. Market St., Leavittsburg. Call 330-898-4295 for information.
QUIT SMOKING FOR FREE DIAPERS: The Baby & Me Tobacco Free Program at the Trumbull County Combined Health District offers pregnant women a free smoking cessation program and an opportunity to receive free diapers up to one year after delivery. For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District offers vaccinations to children and adults. For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support groups for people and families dealing with mental illness:
• Girard Family Support, 11 a.m. first Thursdays monthly, Girard Free Library, 105 E. Prospect St., Girard.
• Austintown Family Support Group, 7 p.m. second Tuesdays monthly, Alta Care building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
NAMI CONNECTION: Support group for those with mental health diagnosis meetings:
• 1:30 p.m. Thursdays, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• 6 p.m. second and fourth Thursdays monthly, Alta Care Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
• 6 p.m., second and fourth Wednesday, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
• NAMI Connection for people with substance abuse and mental illness, 6 p.m. the second and fourth Wednesday, Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave, Youngstown.
For information, visit namimv.org, call 330-727-9268 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
TCMH SCHEDULE: Trumbull County Mental Health and Recovery Board September meeting schedule is:
• ASAP Opiate Task Force, 9:30 a.m. today, TMHA First Floor, Conference Room A.
• Board of Directors Meeting, 4:30 p.m. today, TMHA First Floor, Conference Room A.
WELLNESS CENTER PROGRAMS: The City of Niles Wellness Center offers the following programs. To register, call the center at 330-349-9355 or email Theresa Scirocco at email@example.com or Lynda Briach at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Free SilverSneakers class for members, 10 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
• Yoga with Tricia, 10 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Bring a mat.
• Spinning class, 6:30 p.m. Mondays, 7 p.m. Thursdays, 6 p.m. Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Fridays, and 8:30 a.m. Saturdays. Free for SilverSneakers and Fitness members.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL, located next to Sears at the Eastwood Mall, Niles. Open 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday and Wednesday and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. Call 330-652-7542.
• Free blood pressure screenings, 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday to Thursday and 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday.
• Exercise Classes — Free low-impact aerobic group exercise 8:30 a.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday; new SilverSneakers cardio class 10 a.m. Monday and Friday; free SilverSneakers class 10 a.m. and 11:15 a.m. Tuesday and Thursday; easy yoga class 11 a.m. Monday and 9:30 a.m. Thursday; free chair yoga class 1 p.m. Monday, 11 a.m. Wednesday and Friday; exercise class for people with Parkinson’s 11 a.m. Monday and Friday; Zumba Gold classes 8:15 a.m. every Tuesday and Thursday and 4 p.m. Monday and Wednesday (free for SilverSneakers); balance / movement exercise 11 a.m. Thursdays; SilverSneaker stability class 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays; and new Buns and Guns exercise class 10 a.m. Wednesdays (free to SilverSneakers).
• Wednesday — Talk with a doc program, “Keeping Your Cholesterol Level Under Control,” with Dr. Jeff Ellerhost. Call 330-652-7542 to register.
• Thursday — Free adult hearing screening, 1 to 3 p.m. with St. Joseph Warren Hospital Audiologist. By appointment only. Call 330-652-7542.
• Friday — MH Prescription drug assistance from staff members, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Friday — National Fall Prevention Day, with the Area Agency on Aging 11, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the Eastwood Mall, Niles.
• Sept. 27 — Special lab express, 9 to 11 a.m. Get a lipid panel for $10. A 12-hour fast is required. Walk in.
• Sept. 27 — Special program on Medicare updates, 1 p.m. A local insurance broker will give the newest information on enrollments. Register at 330-652-7542.
MERCY HEALTH EDUCATION CLASSES: Mercy Health-Youngstown Community Health Education Offerings for September:
Mercy Health-Youngstown continues to educate our communities about ways to improve their health — mind, body and spirit. This month, we are hosting a variety of health education sessions and screenings. The following upcoming events are open to the public throughout the Mahoning Valley:
• Hispanic Health Program will offer A1C, cholesterol, HDL, LDL, triglycerides and blood pressure screenings at various locations throughout the Valley during the month of September.
Screenings are scheduled from 10 a.m. to noon Wednesday (blood pressure only) at Difference Makers, 404 Tenney Ave., Youngstown; from 9:30 to 11:30 a.m. Thursday at Mi Amigo Restaurant, 11 W. Broad St., Newton Falls; and from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Sept. 23 (blood pressure only) at Beulah Baptist Church, 570 Sherwood Ave., Youngstown.
• Treatment for injured student-athletes is being offered from 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday and Sept. 30, during its Saturday sports injury clinic. Treatment for all types of orthopaedic and sports injuries will be available.
The Saturday sports injury clinic will be open every Saturday morning through Nov. 4. The clinic has two locations, Howland Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine, 1932 Niles Cortland Road NE, Warren; and Boardman Orthopaedics, 835 McKay Court, Boardman.
Walk-ins are welcome and no appointment is necessary. Most insurances are accepted.
For more information, call the Howland location at 330-306-0395 or the Boardman location at 330-758-4399.