Orchids and onions
• ORCHID: To Novelis, an aluminum plant located in Warren, which donated hundreds of backpacks and school supplies to the Warren Family Mission for distribution to needy students this week. The distribution of 475 supply-filled backpacks will help hundreds of local kids get off to a good start this school year.
• ONION: To those responsible for keeping an aging Braceville couple (who regularly hauls potable water to their home) and their neighbors from joining the Blueprint for Prosperity waterline project. The Trumbull County Sanitary Engineer’s office said the Ohio EPA won’t allow these additional homes to join the project, and noted additions to the project would mean undergoing another costly environmental study and rattlesnake study, even though the Blueprint project just misses their properties. That seems ridiculous. Isn’t there a more efficient way to allow these folks to join in so they, too, can enjoy access to clean drinking water?
• ORCHID: To Warren Councilwoman Helen Rucker, D-at Large, who has been the driving force for years behind creation of a local splash pad for Warren children. Ground finally was broken this week on the $300,000 project in Packard Park that will be funded primarily by Community Development Block Grant money. We believe the new water feature will be very popular and appreciated once it opens next summer.
• ORCHID: To businesses along East Market Street in Howland and in the downtown Newton Falls area who are remaining optimistic about road closures that are causing headaches for them and their customers. Comments many of these businesses made in a Tribune Chronicle story showed they are optimistic that short-term inconvenience and traffic congestion will pay off with long-term road improvements. That’s a good attitude!
• ORCHID: To Warren Township Fire Department for taking the time to meet with a young resident who was struggling with fear after witnessing a car fire. The firefighters met with the 7-year-old boy to talk about his fears, educate him and reassure him. What an admirable personal response.