Orchids and onions
• ORCHID: To the W.D. Packard Concert Band, Trumbull Town Hall Foundation, JAC Management and an additional anonymous donor who have given thousands of dollars toward purchase of a sorely needed new Packard Music Hall marquee. So far, about $45,000 has been raised toward the $50,000 to $55,000 cost, with none coming from tax dollars.
• ORCHID: To Bazetta Christian Church near the Trumbull County Fairgrounds for this year marking its 170th anniversary of existence. What an amazing achievement that is deserving of a hearty congratulations!
• ONION: To Liberty Trustees Arnie Clebone and Greg Cizmar for granting a 10 percent increase to Law Director Cherry Poteet after she’s had less than a year on the job. The trustees voted 2-1 to increase Poteet’s contract from $3,000 to $3,300 per month, despite objections from fellow trustee Jodi Stoyak and some residents. Poteet was hired in April, and was instrumental in expanding the use of speed cameras in the township and raising the fees on the township’s impound yard. And let’s not forget the township remains in state fiscal caution.
• ORCHID: To the donor of a full-sized A23 Fixed Wing Single Engine airplane given to the aviation maintenance program at Mahoning County Career and Technical Center. The aircraft was donated by the Beechcraft Heritage Museum in Tullahoma, Tenn. It will be used to train students in the aviation maintenance program. It’s not every day someone gives away an airplane!
• ORCHID: To the United Way of Trumbull County for adopting a new platform “United in Helping Children and Families Thrive,” to help improve the lives of local families in three critically important areas: Learn Well, Earn Well and Stay Well. Bravo!