On the record: Farmington
WHAT: Township trustees meeting Tuesday and Aug. 3
PRESENT: Mike Davis, John Dale and Dave Stephens
• Awarded the Larson West Road project to Frank Martuccio Asphalt and Paving Co. of Hermitage, Pa., at $189,875. American Rescue Plan funds will be used for the project. Davis said the project will be to grind and chip and seal the surface of the road;
• Increased firefighter wage from $10 to $12 per hour. Officials noted it is difficult to get firefighters because Geauga County has places that pay up to $24 per hour;
• Have scheduled a special meeting for 7:15 a.m. Friday at the fire department to appoint a zoning inspector. Current zoning inspector Joe Tura has submitted his resignation effective Aug. 30, which was accepted by trustees;
• Named fiscal officer Barbara Scott as secretary to the zoning board and zoning appeals board;
• Met recently with the zoning commission, which submitted recommended changes to the planning commission for the township zoning book, such as information on two houses on one lot and lowering the road frontage;
• Heard from Davis the township will consider having berming and ditching work done this fall on the roads. The township is expecting a mini excavator to arrive in September for ditching work;
• Are planning a community cleanup day with West Farmington village in September.
• Discussed having cold-mix paving and chip-and-seal work done on Geauga-Portage Easterly Road;
• Received a $200 donation from King Brothers Feed for the fire department in memory of Hubert and Steve Anderson;
• Increased appropriation of ARP funds of $437 to a total of $220,224 due to the second payment received by the township.
— Bob Coupland