Southington hires school treasurer
SOUTHINGTON — The treasurer who Southington schools has been sharing with Windham schools in neighboring Portage County now will work solely in Southington, as the board of education on Thursday approved a two-year agreement with Joel Snider to serve as district treasurer.
The new two-year, 240-day contact is effective Aug. 1, 2022, to July 31, 2024.
This past school year, Southington and Windham were paying 50 percent each toward Snider’s $82,000 salary as part of a shared services agreement. Snider replaced former Southington Treasurer Janet Ward, who retired after 14 years.
Snider, of Aurora, most recently had been with the treasurer’s office in the Educational Service Center of Northeast Ohio.
Southington has approximately 395 students and a budget estimated at $6.8 million, officials have said.
In other business, the board approved a new two-year agreement with the 18 classified workers in the district represented by the Ohio Association of Public School Employees Local 673.
Superintendent Rocco Nero said the new agreement, effective July 1 to June 2024, includes a 40-cent per hour pay increase each year, which officials estimate at 2.35 percent.
The union represents bus drivers, custodians, cafeteria staff, maintenance and secretaries.
In other action, the board:
• Placed a renewal of the 3.35-mill, four-year operating levy on the November ballot to raise $250,000 annually for emergency requirements of the district and day-to-day needs. Officials said there is no increase in taxes;
• Approved athletic participation fees at $50 per athlete for all sports. Fees are due prior to the first game of the year;
• Approved a 5-cent increase for lunches with grades PK-5 costing $2.25, grades 6 to 12 costing $2.60 and adults $3.35. Breakfast will be $1.15;
• Approved the use of ESSER funds for cyber liability protection for district property, students and staff;
• Approved an agreement with Gardiner Services for heating, ventilation and air conditioning maintenance at $18,000;
• Entered into an agreement with Steve Bear as a bus inspection consultant at $20 per hour;
• Approved the seventh- and eighth-grade field trip to Hershey, Philadelphia and Gettysburg, Pa., May 21 to 23, 2023. Cost is $425 per student.