Twenty Under 20 class chosen
WARREN — Twenty of the most impressive young leaders in Trumbull County have been selected for the 2021 Class of Twenty Under 20.
Now in its ninth year, the program, co-sponsored by the Tribune Chronicle, Akron Children’s Hospital Mahoning Valley and Kent State University at Trumbull, honors 20 high-achieving individuals younger than 20 for their leadership skills through volunteerism, extracurricular activities and academic achievements.
Sue Shafer, community events coordinator for the Tribune Chronicle, said the students will be featured in a special magazine in early December and honored at a banquet in December. No banquet took place last year because of the pandemic, but the students were honored in a virtual program and the overall winner, Kate Li of Howland, was given her award at the newspaper offices.
“These students are the best and brightest our community has to offer. Just as in past years, it was difficult for the judges to choose 20 out of the 40 nominations,” Shafer said.
The students, whose volunteer activities run the gamut from the Animal Welfare League to caring for hospice patients, were nominated by family members, teachers, club advisers and school guidance counselors. Many of them have 4.0 grade point averages and are on track to graduate at the top of their classes.
The winners were selected based on a calculation of 50 percent leadership and 25 percent each academic achievement and extracurricular activities. The top five winners will be selected to split $1,000 to be donated to the local charity of their choice. One overall winner will be picked from among the five. Those winners will be announced during the banquet.
The Class of 2021 has 19 seniors and one college freshman. In addition, there are 16 girls and four boys and no repeat winners from last year.
This year’s winners are:
• Maria Anastasiades, 18, a freshman at Youngstown State University and graduate of Howland;
• Ashley Bahrey, 17, a senior at Bristol;
• Katherine Buttar, 17, a senior at Niles McKinley;
• Dante Byrne, 18, a senior at Girard High School;
• Briley Daniels, 17, a senior at LaBrae;
• Morgan Duffey, 17, a senior at Chalker;
• Paige Fleischer, 18, a senior at Maplewood;
• Emma Gates, 17, a senior at Mathews;
• Gunnar Gray, 18, a senior at Western Reserve Academy;
• Lauren Haynie, 17, a senior at Champion;
• Logan Lewis, 17, a senior at Niles McKinley;
• Myia Meszaros, 18, a senior at Girard;
• Grant Myers, 17, a senior at Howland;
• Casey Owsley, 17, a senior at Warren G. Harding;
• Anthony Payiavlas, 17, a senior at Harding;
• Lukea Pitinii, 17, a senior at Howland;
• Leah Scala, 18, a senior at McDonald;
• Camryn Stewart, 17, a senior at Harding;
• Natalie Suich, 18, a senior at Girard;
• Kaylynn Thomas, 17, a senior at Girard.