Man pleads guilty to charge after mistrial
WARREN — The Campbell man whose trial last week in Trumbull County Common Pleas Court ended in a mistrial after jurors could not reach a unanimous verdict after deliberating 17 hours pleaded guilty Tuesday to a reduced charge connected to the Oct. 5, 2020, shooting of a Warren man.
Tre’Mon Dukes, 23, of Tenney Avenue, appeared with his attorney Mary Ellen Ditchey before Judge Andrew D. Logan, who sentenced him to an indefinite prison term of four- to five-and-a-half years, including a one-year mandatory term for using a gun in the offense.
Ditchey said the plea deal on an aggravated robbery charge offset a retrial for Dukes, who already is serving a federal prison term.
Dukes stood trial for four days last week, with jurors deliberating for 17 hours over three days. Logan sent them home about 1:30 p.m. Friday after the panel told him they had not made any progress toward a unanimous verdict.
“After we came back with the hung jury, we re-examined the case and after looking over the evidence and speaking with the jurors, this was the appropriate deal to make,” Trumbull County Assistant Prosecutor Charles Morrow said.
Dukes is one of two men accused of shooting Jody Hall, 19, outside a Charles Avenue NE home. Jurors considered testimony by the victim, Warren police officers and two neighbors who had heard the shots and came to Hall’s aid in the front yard where another man was changing a tire on the car. Hall was shot in the back and arm, testimony showed.
The co-defendant, Mehki Walker, is scheduled for trial Oct. 4 before Judge Peter J. Kontos on two counts of felonious assault, aggravated robbery and having weapons under restrictions, which are the same charges that Dukes faced at trial.
Dukes, according to court records, is serving a 27-month federal sentence after pleading guilty on April 22, 2021, to one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm. Logan said the local sentence will be served concurrently with the federal term, and Morrow said Dukes will serve at least the mandatory one-year sentence after the federal term for the gun specification.
Also in Logan’s courtroom Tuesday, the co-defendant charged along with the victim in the Dukes case in a Feb. 11, 2021, shooting in Warren, pleaded guilty to a reduced second-degree robbery charge.
Richard Nichols, 24, of Tod Avenue SW, was given an indefinite two- to three-year prison term that he will serve concurrently to an eight-month prison term he received May 10 after pleading guilty to a charge of aggravated possession of drugs.
Nichols and Hall were indicted on charges of aggravated robbery and felonious assault, both with firearm specifications, and one felony count of receiving stolen property, according to court records. They were accused in an afternoon shooting Feb. 11 in the 200 block of Belmont Street NW in Warren in which a 30-year-old West Market Street man was robbed and received gunshot wounds to the neck, shoulder and arm, according to a police report.
Court records show Hall, of Sweetbriar SW, is scheduled for an Oct. 26 pretrial in Logan’s courtroom.