State nursing home COVID-19 infections drop
COVID-19 infections at Mahoning Valley nursing homes and assisted-living facilities leveled off while the totals statewide dropped significantly. The number of deaths locally climbed by three.
The results were mixed at the three local prisons.
The number of Mahoning County nursing homes and assisted-living facilities with at least three combined patient and staff COVID-19 infections dropped from eight to seven this week. Trumbull County facilities with that many cases remained at one, and Columbiana County continues to have no facilities with at least three cases.
Six additional deaths were recorded at Trumbull County facilities this week, one more than last week.
Mahoning County nursing homes and assisted-living facilities reported five more deaths this week, two more than last week, and Columbiana County facilities had no additional deaths.
Trumbull has had 155 nursing home deaths, Mahoning, 214, and Columbiana, 68, according to the Ohio Department of Health.
As a state, patient virus cases dropped a lot again this week — from 2,711 last week to 2,362 this week. Staff cases dropped from 2,065 to 1,741. It is the third consecutive week patient cases have declined significantly in the state. Two weeks ago, it was at 3,085 patient cases.
The number of staff cases of the virus at the private Northeast Ohio Correctional Center in Youngstown rose a bit from 25 to 28 after a big drop last week. The number of inmate cases also rose a bit from nine cases to 11 this week after falling the previous two weeks.
The number of staff cases at the Ohio State Penitentiary in Youngstown dropped from seven to four this week. Inmate cases dropped from eight to two.
The number of staff cases of the virus at Trumbull Correctional Institution in Leavittsburg dropped from nine to four, and inmate cases remained at one.
By the numbers
Only facilities with three or more cases are listed. The “total” cases listed below are the total number the facility has had since April 15.
• Crandall Medical Center assisted living, Sebring — 1 patient case, 5 staff cases; total of 24 patient cases, 55 staff cases.
• Humility House nursing home, Austintown — 5 patient cases, 1 staff case, total of 49 patient cases, 47 staff cases.
• Ivy Woods nursing home, North Lima — 2 patient cases, 2 staff cases; total of 9 patient cases, 2 staff cases.
• Park Vista nursing home, Youngstown — 6 patient cases, 3 staff cases; total of 45 patient cases, 21 staff cases.
• The Assumption Village nursing home, North Lima — 5 patient cases, 2 staff cases; total of 34 patient cases, 54 staff cases.
• Windsor House Omni Manor nursing home, Youngstown — 10 patient cases, 9 staff cases; total of 112 patient cases, 56 staff cases.
• Woodlands Center for Rehab nursing home, Poland — 3 patient cases, 0 staff cases, total of 3 patient cases, 0 staff cases.
• Continuing Healthcare at the Ridge nursing home — 3 patient cases, 0 staff cases; total of 118 patient cases, 42 staff cases.
SOURCE: Ohio Department of Health