Substation fire takes out power

Substation fire takes out power

WARREN — About 4,000 FirstEnergy customers were without power early Wednesday after an electric substation off Mahoning Avenue NW caught fire.

Trumbull County 911 reports show Warren fire crews were dispatched shortly before 2 a.m. to a generator located behind Jamestown Village Plaza. The reports said the flames had engulfed the entire substation. Firefighters reported clearing the scene by 2:30 a.m.

First Energy reported restoring power to homes and businesses in Warren, Warren Township, Howland and Champion by 4 a.m.

Mark Durbin of FirstEnergy said the problem was caused by a malfunctioning voltage regulator that briefly caught fire.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today