Bazetta Walmart evacuated
Firefighters respond to electrical issue
BAZETTA — Walmart, 2016 Millennium Blvd., was evacuated Friday night after the store experienced an electrical issue that caused an outlet to smolder, according to the Bazetta fire department.
Laura DelPiero of Cortland, who was waiting for her mother, Gina Stockton DelPiero, to check out at the store when the incident occurred, said an announcement came over the system to evacuate the store around 6:30 p.m.
A police officer made Gina leave her basket to exit the store. Approximately 50 customers waited in the parking lot, and store employees congregated toward the back of the lot, Laura said.
“They handled it very well,” Gina said of the evacuation.
Reports on the Facebook page Everything Cortland said traffic was heavy in the area as other customers left. Cortland, Bazetta and Howland Township fire departments were on scene, Laura said.
Fire crews shut off the power and removed the outlet before employees were allowed to return to the store just before 7 p.m. Customers were allowed back in the building around 7:30 p.m.
Customers had to find their shopping baskets, which had been collected near the front of the store.
“Our basket wasn’t there because we had all frozen food, but we found the employee that had all of our food,” Laura said.