On the record | McDonald Board of Education
WHAT: Board of Education meeting Wednesday
PRESENT: Joe Cappuzzello, Thomas Hannon, Jody Klase, Donna Shields and John Saganich
• Announced it will accept bids at an auction 1 p.m. Wednesday for the three-acre former Roosevelt School property. Superintendent Kevin O’Connell said the board will review auction bids before making a decision. The property is no longer used by the district;
• Approved the 2020-21 school calendar with first day for students Aug. 19 and last day May 26, 2021;
• Approved Gardiner of Solon at $36,900 for repairs to the secondary boiler at the high school with work to begin shortly. Work will include new tubes for the boiler;
• Voted 3-1-1 against a bid of $252,117 from Murphy Contracting to complete a high school gymnasium elevator addition. O’Connell said the board members expressed concerns about the project, which possibly will be looked at again. Hannon voted in support of moving forward with the project while Shields abstained on the vote;
• Voted 5-0 against a bid of $114,883 by Murphy Contracting for an excavation project for the high school weight room by the gymnasium. O’Connell said since the project to address drainage issues was to be done in conjunction with the elevator, it also was voted down.