Apartment fire under investigation

WARREN — The State Fire Marshal’s office and the Warren Fire Department are investigating a Friday morning fire at the Stonegate Apartments on Roberts Avenue NW, which was started when stove burners were turned on in the unoccupied apartment.

Warren fire Chief Ken Nussle said the woman who lives at the apartment said she leaves the door of her first-floor dwelling unlocked because she lost her keys. She told firefighters she did not leave the burners on, but the fire marshal found all the burners were on when the fire started.

No one was hurt in the blaze, which started around 9:30 a.m. An estimated $10,000 of damage was confined to the apartment, Nussle said.

Nussle said if foul play is determined, the incident may be considered an aggravated arson because the other people in the complex were put at risk.


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)