Cyclists gear up for annual event
GARRETT WONDERS BIKE RIDE: The 16th annual Garrett Wonders Bike Ride will be Saturday beginning at Trumbull Memorial Hospital Medical Professional Building, 1353 E. Market St., Warren. Riders will use the parking lot off Laird Avenue behind the Medical Professional Building. Participants will take a 20-, 30-, 40- and 50-mile ride through the Garrett Wonders Bike Trail, Trumbull County Western Reserve Greenway Bike Trail and adjoining roads. There also is a special children and young family ride on the Garrett Wonders Bike Trail that starts before 2 p.m. Complimentary refreshments and cookie stops are available along the routes.
Registration opens at 8 a.m. and closes at 11 a.m. for the 30-, 40-, and 50-mile rides and closes at 2 p.m. for 20- mile and kids ride. Door prizes, raffles and refreshments will be available throughout the day. T-shirts will be issued day of the ride. You may purchase extra T-shirts at $12 each. Each rider must wear a helmet. Use of protective eyewear and other safety gear is strongly recommended. Bicycles should be safe and suitable for the ride. For information, call 330-398-2818 or 330-647-4343. The Garrett Wonders Memorial Fund has given out more than $50,000 in scholarships and continued bicycle advocacy work.
BLACKLIGHT SHOW: The Champion High School band will hold its annual blacklight show at halftime today at the Champion vs. Newton Falls football game at the Champion stadium.
FRIENDS HOLD BOOK SALE: The Friends of the McKinley Memorial Library in Niles will hold its annual book sale 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and Saturday and 1 to 3 p.m. Sunday in the McKinley auditorium. The Friends will be selling a variety of books, audiobooks and other items. Sunday is $2 per bag with bags provided.
FALL FEST: The Warren Rotary Club will hold a Fall Fest 2 to 7 p.m. Oct. 12 at Eastwood Field in Niles. The event includes vendors, music, children’s activities, food and fireworks. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for children ages 4 to 12.
FALL CLEANUP: Fall cleanup will be held at the Girard City Cemetery through Monday for removing flowers and other items from graves. After Monday, cemetery employees will be removing items in preparation for the upcoming holiday wreaths.
EARTH ODDITY DAY: The OH WOW! Roger and Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science and Technology, 11 W. Federal St. will hold Earth Oddity Day 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday. Children of all ages will explore the National Curious Events Day and learn about unexplained phenomena. Call 330-744-5914.
CIRCUS COMES TO TOWN: The Garden Brothers Circus will be held at the MetroPlex Expo Center in Liberty on Monday. The event will feature elephants, motorcycles, racing cars and the smallest horse on earth. For information visit www.gardenbroscir cus.com
SENSORY STORYTIME: The Warren-Trumbull County Public Library will hold Sensory Storytime 11 a.m. Saturday specially designed for children with autism and other sensory-integration challenges. The free program features age-appropriate stories and sensory-rich activities that promote literacy and positive associations with reading and the library. For children ages 3 to 8, caregivers, and families. Registration is required by calling 330-399-8807, E
• NAR-ANON — 7 p.m., Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road SE, Warren, 12-step program for relatives and friends adversely affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. Bill, 330-856-3822.
• We Do Recover — 3 p.m., United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Glimmer of Hope — 8:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• A Better Place to Be — 10 p.m., Glenbeigh, 29 North Road, Niles.
• Gamblers Anonymous — closed meeting, 7:30 p.m., Westminster Church, 119 Stadium Drive, Boardman. 330-505-5060.
• Grief Share — recovery support group, 6:30 p.m., Seeking God’s Glory Church, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• Bible study for recovering people — 7:30 p.m., Niles Nazarene Church, Niles Vienna Road.
• Lordstown Lions bingo — 7 p.m., Lordstown administration building, 1455 Salt Springs Road. Doors open 5:30 p.m.
• Total Deliverance — 6 p.m., 2970 Parkman Road, Warren, 12-step meeting. 330-942-3597 or 330-369-2504.
• Hillside Stroke Support Group — 2:30 p.m., boardroom. Cindy, 330-841-3891.
• The Survivors Group — 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Outpatient Facility, 160 Clifton Drive, Howland, open discussion.
• Produce Give-Away — 9:30 a.m., through September, The Warren Family Mission, 1312 W. Market St., Warren.