On the record – Brookfield
WHAT: Board of education meeting Tuesday
PRESENT: Ronda Bonekovic, Ron Brennan and George Economides
ABSENT: Kelly Carrier and Tim Filipovich
• Approved first reading of a resolution to place an additional five-year, 1.9-mill permanent improvement levy on the Nov. 5 ballot and asking the Trumbull County auditor to certify the district’s tax valuation and how much would be generated by the levy. The levy failed 59 percent to 41 percent in November 2018 and failed again 64 percent to 36 percent in the May primary election.
• Approved a resolution to suspend the contract for Rachel Vanscoy, educational aide; abolish the student monitor position; and reduce Grace Vitello’s position as educational aide from seven hours per workday to 5.92 hours per workday in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code;
• Approved the resignation of Nicole Fening, elementary teacher, effective June 27;
• Approved the resignation of Nathan Berry, middle school math teacher, effective June 30;
• Approved a one-year limited contract for Lauren Shugarts, elementary teacher, effective the start of the 2019-20 school year;
• Approved one-year limited contracts for Rebecca Martin and Eileen Mealy, bus drivers, effective the start of the 2019-20 school year;
• Approved Suzanna Eliser, Susan Jewell, Scott Pryor and John Wilkes as classified substitutes for the summer of 2019;
• Approved 2019-20 supplemental contracts for Carrie Rogers-Vadala, flagline adviser, and Lindsey Bumgardner, danceline adviser;
• Approved a two-year contract with Inventionland Institute effective the 2019-20 and 2020-21 school years for STEM / Entrepreneurial Curriculum Materials, Site License and Staff Training, costing $10,500;
• Approved a resolution for the Brookfield Board of Education to seek a waiver to request the delay of middle school career technical education. The district does not have enough licensed staff members for the program.