McDonald school projects continue during summer
McDONALD — Various projects, including installation of security cameras and fixing leaking walls, are being done this summer in preparation for the start of the 2019-20 school year on Aug. 21.
The McDonald Board of Education on Wednesday approved a contract with D&G Waterproofing and Construction LLC at $4,355 for fixing a wall in the elementary music room that has been leaking.
Superintendent Kevin O’Connell said work also is being planned for the mulch area of the elementary playground that continues to get flooded. He said GPD Architects and others have been looking to address the problem near a retaining wall.
O’Connell said at the high school, LED lighting from PlugSmart will be installed by CR Electric starting in the gymnasium and new security cameras will be installed. The cameras are being paid for with a $40,000 Ohio Bureau of Workers Compensation grant and $13,000 from the district.
He said bids will be received in August for fixing the elevator at the high school, which should be done by Thanksgiving.
In other business, the board:
• Approved a one-year agreement with the village for a school resource officer at $27.50 per hour for the two buildings. O’Connell said this is the sixth year the officer is being paid for with a grant. Ryan Ronghi, who is taking training this summer, will be the resource officer this year;
• Approved pay increases for non-union central office staff for three years through 2022: Diane Fossacecca from $19.22 per hour the first year (2019-20) to $20.19 the third year (2021-22); Diane Hughes from $14.90 per hour the first year to $15.65 the third year; and Pamela Streb from $21.80 per hour the first year to $22.90 the third year;
• Hired Randy Riccitelli as new athletic director on a one-year contract;
• Approved Dan Peterson, a Youngstown State University student, as assistant band director, on a one-year contract;
• Approved the two-week, eight-day summer school program at the elementary school paid by Title 1 funds;
• Met in executive session on contract negotiations with certified and classified union members. Both contracts expire Aug. 31.