Almost two dozen apply for director of solid waste district
WARREN — A meeting is scheduled Monday for county commissioners in Trumbull and Geauga counties to review the 23 resumes submitted for director of the Geauga-Trumbull Solid Waste Management District.
The commissioners will examine the resumes of the applicants and narrow the field before setting up interviews, said Dan Polivka, Trumbull County commissioner and chair of the board overseeing the district. The three commissioners from each county make up the board.
The district has been without a director since Greg Kovalchick — who was at the center of a personnel investigation accusing him of creating a hostile work environment — was first ordered to work from home, went on sick leave for stress and then retired in May. He was accused by several people, including two of the women applying for his old job, of bullying behavior after getting promoted from within.
The job applicants were sorted into categories based on the type and amount of experience they have by a district employee who did not apply for the job. The following does not encompass the totality of the applicants’ experience.
Those with solid waste management experience:
• L. Holly Carine, Hermitage, Pa., a district employee since 1988 who has been the community outreach coordinator and education specialist since 2006;
• Lisa Roe Smith, Warren, administrative assistant in the district assisting in all district projects since 1994;
• Terry Nicopolis, Warren, Public Employees Retirement Inc. Trumbull County president and former director of environmental services for the city of Warren;
• Kathleen M. Rocco, Lakewood, education specialist for the Cuyahoga County Solid Waste District since 2000;
• Sarah E. Ellis, Youngstown, owner of Sarah’s Loving Pet Care and program manager from 2005 to 2013 for a Mahoning County Solid Waste District collaboration program;
• Steven Tharp Jr., Brewster, operations coordinator at the Stark Tuscarawas Wayne Recycling District since 2017;
• Guiseppe Merlo, Niles, special projects coordinator at the district since January;
• Jennifer Jones, Youngstown, environmental, community and neighborhood services coordinator in Youngstown since 2017 and Litter Control program coordinator for Youngstown from 2009 to 2017;
• Ken Radtke Jr., Chesterland, president of Environmental Guidance Inc. since 1995 and Chester Township trustee.
Those with government experience:
• Michael E. Wilson, Warren, director of senior services for SCOPE Senior Services and administrator of the Trumbull Soil and Water Conservation District from 2005 to 2014;
• Dennis J. Day, Warren, investigator with the Northeast Ohio Network from 2004 to 2015, investigating claims of abuse against people with developmental disabilities;
• Lisa M. Hovance, Cortland, Trumbull County web designer and developer since 1998;
• Bernadette McElroy, Warren, unit supervisor since 2013 at the Trumbull County Child Support Enforcement Agency, where she was worked since 1995;
• Josh B. Goodridge, Bristolville, utilities superintendent for the City of Tallmadge since 2012 and owner of B&J Environmental Inc. since 1991.
Those with upper management experience:
• Phil R. DeCapito, Warren, credit manager at Hollywood Casino in Columbus since 2014 and table game supervisor at the Cleveland Horseshoe Casino from 2012 to 2014;
• Stijepan (Steve) Vucic, Cleveland, assistant branch manager at Dollar Bank FSB since 2017 and operations manger there from 2011 to 2017.
Those with “other” experience:
• William H. Siekkinen, Williamsfield, Seely Medical since 2011 and pastor;
• Richard Perrine, Youngstown, custodial work supervisor at Youngstown State University since 2015;
• Nicholas J. Leone, Hubbard, senior manufacturing engineer at Aptiv since 2006, senior project engineer from 1996 to 2006;
• Nicholas M. Jacka, Terre Haute, Ind., superintendent / field assistant at Anchor Construction from 2015 to 2017;
• Steve Greenlaw, Solon, director of operations for Home Tutoring Solutions since 2009;
• Susan Coleman, Newton Falls, administrative assistant in the environmental and occupational health and safety department at Youngstown State University since 2007;
• LaNina M. Stassinis, Southington, store systems trainer at JoAnn Fabrics and Craft Store Support Center since 2015 and store manager from 2004 to 2015.