Phys ed teacher cut in Lakeview
CORTLAND — Lakeview Local Schools Superintendent Robert Wilson pointed to declining enrollment as the reason for placing one teacher on a reduction in force list.
Wilson said Tuesday the district has seen about a 5 percent decline in enrollment every year for at least the past three years.
The Board of Education on Monday placed health and physical education teacher Michael Cole on the list as of the end of the school year. Wilson said Cole, who is K-12 certified and worked at both the middle and high schools, qualified for a two-year contract for the 2019-20 school year, which will be resumed if he is brought back into the district.
Also Monday, two teachers with different certifications were hired by the district. Audrey Gale was hired as math and special education teacher and Tyler Husosky as a music instructor for the 2019-20 school year.
In other matters, the board:
• Approved three two-year contracts, two three-year contracts, one five-year contract and 11 continuing contracts for certified personnel for the 2019-20 school year;
• Approved a one-year contract, two two-year contracts and five continuing contracts for classified personnel for the 2019-20 school year;
• Approved advisers for cheerleading and academic clubs, and department chairpersons K-12, coordinators, discipline and detention supervisors, extended duty contracts, mentors and lead mentors, music contracts, after-school tutors for the middle and high schools, and athletics;
• Approved volunteer and substitute personnel for the 2019-20 school year;
• Approved the continued participation in OHSAA for the 2019-20 school year;
• Continued student pay to participate fees at the current rates for the 2019-20 school year;
• Approved a contract with the Trumbull County Educational Service Center for 2020 at an annual rate of $537,459. Wilson said the rate is a slight increase from the previous year;
• Adopted the five-year forecast.