On the record – Girard
WHAT: Board of Education meeting Thursday
PRESENT: Mark Zuppo, Diane Alejars, Pete Cardiero and Sue Ellen Harris
ABSENT: Nancy Thomas
• Approved an agreement with Prout Boiler, Heating and Welding at $135,000 for the intermediate school’s chilled waterline insulation replacement project;
• Heard from Girard Intermediate Principal Greg Bonamase of looking into emergency lights for the restrooms when there is a power outage as flashlights are now used;
• Approved the Success By Six pre-kindergarten summer program July 8 to 26 for elementary children with Girard Prospect School Principal Debra Gratz to be administrator at $25 per hour paid by the Youngstown-Mahoning Valley United Way.
• Accepted the retirement / resignation of JoAnn Johntony as head custodian effective July 1 after 52 years of service;
• Accepted a $30,000 donation from Ron and Karen Robinson for the Girard High School Robotics Scholarship Fund;
• Set graduation for noon May 26 at the high school gymnasium;
• Approved Intermediate School Guidance Counselor Pamela Baker’s dog Oscar as a therapy dog certified through Therapy Dogs International. Oscar is also a certified emotional support animal;
• Approved use of Arrowhead Stadium and high school gym by Liberty Assembly of God for a community Back to School event Aug. 9;
• Approved use of Arrowhead Stadium from Fairhaven School for Special Olympics on May 11;
• Entered into agreement with Trumbull County Educational Service Center at $480,000 for various special education services;
• Heard from high school band firector DJ Colella about the marching band’s performance at Disney World in Florida;
• Accepted resignations of special education director Dianne Kosco on July 31 and ED / MD instructional aide Stacey Fonderlin on April 26.