×

Fire reported at Howland restaurant

HOWLAND – An investigation is ongoing after a fire broke out inside a wall at the Chophouse restautant in Howland Monday afternoon.

Kitchen staff was preparing for the restaurant’s daily opening when the fire was found, said Howland Fire Chief James Pantalone.

Crews took out the wall to investigate where the fire originated – from the grill side or an electrical fire, Pantalone said.

A fire stop in the wall helped to keep the already-contained fire from spreading to the ceiling and roof, Pantalone said.

Once employees discovered the smoke and smoldering, they contacted 911 promptly which led to the swift arrival from Howland Township Fire Department, Bazetta Fire Department and Cortland Fire Department.

“We were notified properly, people were evacuated properly, and everything went according to plan,” Pantalone said.

The restaurant remains temporarily closed today as damage is assessed.

news@tribtoday.com

NEWSLETTER

Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)
     

COMMENTS

Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today