City police investigated teen marriage case

99 years ago in 1922:

• Two young girls, sisters, one 16 and the other 14, were lured to Warren from their home in Canton by two local men and promised marriage, were in the city jail while police were preparing to push formal charges against the two men.

Police investigating a fight on Griswold Street found the girls and notified Chief Gillen who personally supervised an investigation.

The girls were taken to the police station.

The girls said they knew the men who had boarded at their home in Canton and that in September they came to Warren and hours after reaching the city they went to Probate Court and there received a license, the girl swearing she was 18 years of age.

Although the license was 4 months old, the pair had not married, police said. The second sister came later and she also had not yet married.

50 years ago in 1971:

• Trumbull Coroner Dr. Joseph Sudimack Jr. ruled the deaths of a Warren youth and girl in a car at the Skyway Drive-In Theater, N. Leavitt Rd., accidental due to carbon monoxide intoxication.

The 18-year-old girl, a Harding High senior, and 19 year-old Lordstown plant assembler of Mulberry NW Warren were pronounced dead on arrival at Trumbull Memorial Hospital.

They were found dead in the youth’s 1965 model car at 11:50 p.m. by the theater’s owner and son, who had noticed the car with the engine rumbling, parked in the theater after the movie had ended.

They had attempted to revive the couple by mouth-to-mouth resuscitation to no avail.

Dr. Sudimack said the car was being checked for any defects, but it was believed fumes from the tail pipe possibly leaked into the interior from underneath the vehicle.

The Skyway Theater did not have heaters for cars during winter months and patrons were given a coupon for a gallon of gasoline when attending the theater to compensate for the use of the gas in running their car engines to keep their cars warm during the program.

25 years ago in 1996:

• The reopening of the Trumbull County Law Library might have taken longer than expected, but lawyers and librarians were on the verge of moving to a new home.

“It’s great. We’re a library and we’re finally going to be in a library building — with hopefully everything in one place,” said an excited Karin McKinney, who had worked for the state-mandated facility for more than 20 years.

McKinney said plans called for her librarian desk to be placed directly under a massive skylight that had been uncovered and rebuilt in the dome of the former Carnegie LibraryBuilding that sits beside the renovated Stone Building and the huge new county jail being erected downtown.

The $692,000 renovation of the former library was only a portion of a more than $20 million in construction and renovation projects undertaken by county commissioners, including the new lockup and the Courthouse.

The library was to become the first of the ongoing county projects to become fully operational when volumes were moved into place later in the month. The overflowing material originally stored in the Courthouse had been temporarily stored in the Wean Building and at the Board of Elections.

10 years ago in 2011:

• A 22 year-old Liberty Warren woman was being sought by police after officers said she tried to steal almost $1,000 worth of property at Walmart and then walked off from St. Elizabeth Youngstown Hospital after telling police she was suffering from a contagious infection.

Police said the Berkshire Drive woman complained of chest pains and the loss of sight in her right eye after being booked into a holding cell at Liberty police headquarters on a robbery charge.

Police Chief Richard Tisone said his officers were under that belief that the woman suffered from a form of Methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or MRSA, a bacterial infection that is highly resistant to antibiotics.

The woman had been spotted loading up garbage cans in her cart and then trying to flee the store. The shopper was detained by the security officer and police were called after the scuffle.

She had escaped from police custody by walking away from any treatment at the hospital. No charges had been filed by the police. A warrant had been issued for the woman’s arrest and the police department had been disinfected.

— Compiled from the archives of the Tribune Chronicle by Emily Earnhart


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)


Starting at $4.62/week.

Subscribe Today