Celebrate winter at Old Avalon
WARMUP EVENT: Howland Winter Warmup will start 6 p.m. today at the Old Avalon Golf Course. The family-friendly event includes live music, games, campfire stories, food and other items. The event is sponsored by the township trustees.
POSTAL PARTICIPATION: The Newton Falls Post Office would like children to participate in a postmark cancellation, which will be offered in May for the Newton Falls Baseball Softball League.
Submission forms are available at the Newton Falls Post Office, 112 Ridge Road. Newton Falls Postmaster Krista Ayers can be contacted at 330-872-1072 for information on the criteria. Submissions are due Feb. 29. The winner’s drawing will be the pictorial postmark and will be available during the softball event.
As a community service, the Postal Service offers pictorial postmarks to commemorate local events celebrated in communities throughout the nation. People attending these local events may obtain the postmark in person at the temporary Post Office station established there.
Those who cannot attend the event but who wish to obtain the postmark may submit a mail order request. Pictorial postmarks are available only for the dates indicated, and requests must be postmarked no later than 30 days following the requested pictorial postmark date.
All requests must include a stamped envelope or postcard bearing at least the minimum first-class mail postage. Items submitted for postmark may not include postage issued after the date of the requested postmark. Such items will be returned unserviced.
BASEBALL PROGRAM: “Cleveland Indians and Baseball in the Prewar Years” will be presented 2 p.m. Saturday at the Warren-Trumbull County Public Library.
Baseball historian Scott Longert wrote “Bad Boys, Bad Times: The Cleveland Indians and Baseball in the Prewar Years, 1937-1941,” which is a follow-up to his “No Money, No Beer, No Pennants: The Cleveland Indians and Baseball in the Great Depression.”
FUNDRAISING FOR ROBOTICS: A Night at the Races and basket auction will be held 7 p.m. Saturday at the Avon Oaks Ballroom, U.S. Route 422, Girard. The doors open at 6:30 p.m. and the first race is at 7 p.m.
The night’s proceeds will benefit the Girard High School FIRST Robotics team and Junior High School and Intermediate School’s LEGO League Teams.
Admission is free. There will be a 50 / 50, food and auction race and basket raffle.
Students in the FIRST Robotics program work throughout the year to promote their team and FIRST Robotics engage in community service projects, as well as design and build prototypes for their competition robot.
Beginning in January, which was the worldwide FIRST Robotics kickoff, the students have just six weeks to design, build, program, and test their robot for this year’s unique competition. The team will compete at the Miami Valley Regional from Thursday to Feb. 29, and then at the Buckeye Regional at Cleveland State’s Wolstein Center March 26-28. The events are free.
Contact 330-545-5431, Ext. 201, for information.
• NAR-ANON — 7 p.m., Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road SE, Warren, 12-step program for relatives and friends adversely affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. Bill, 330-856-3822.
• We Do Recover — 3 p.m., United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• A Better Place to Be — 10 p.m., Glenbeigh, 29 North Road, Niles.
• Grief Share — 6:30 p.m., Seeking God’s Glory Church, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren, recovery support group.
• Bible study for recovering people — 7:30 p.m., Niles Nazarene Church, Niles Vienna Road.
• Lordstown Lions bingo — 7 p.m., Lordstown administration building, 1455 Salt Springs Road. Doors open 5:30 p.m.
• Total Deliverance — 6 p.m., 2970 Parkman Road, Warren, 12-step meeting. 330-942-3597 or 330-369-2504.
• Youngstown Area Tropical Fish Society — 7:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church of Mineral Ridge, 3654 Main St. Speakers offered. 330-638-4839 or www.yatfs.com.
•The Survivors Group — 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Outpatient Facility, 160 Clifton Drive, Howland, open discussion.
• The Happy Wanderers Senior Fellowship group — 11 a.m., Corner House Christian Church, 6954 Chestnut Ridge Road, Hubbard. 330-534-4665.
• Produce Give-Away — 9:30 a.m., through September, The Warren Family Mission, 1312 W. Market St., Warren.
• Howland Group — 1 p.m. Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road.
• Saturday Here and Now Group — 4 p.m., The Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Saturday Night Serenity — 7 p.m., First Church of God, 541 South High St., Cortland.
• Seeking God’s Glory — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Overeaters Anonymous — 10 a.m., St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church, 4453 Warren Sharon Road, Vienna. 330-545-5139.
• Saturday Night Recovery– 4 p.m., Sahara Club II D, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.