Author to discuss historic theaters
LIBRARY PROGRAM: Author Sean T. Posey will highlight many of the places he describes in his book “Historic Theaters of Youngstown and the Mahoning Valley” at a program 2 p.m. Saturday at the Warren-Trumbull County Public Library.
DOG PARTY: The Brookfield Library Branch will hold a “Dog Man” Party 6 p.m. Wednesday as part of the children’s library programs. Fans of the Dav Pilkey series “Dog Man” will celebrate with games, crafts and activities.
The program is for ages 5 to 12. Registration is required.
HISTORIAN TO SPEAK: Local author and historian Tom Welsh will talk about his research on William Cafaro for the next William Holmes McGuffey Society program.
Welsh is the author or co-author of four books on local history — “Strouss: Youngstown’s Dependable Store,” “Classic Restaurants of Youngstown,” “A History of Jewish Youngstown and the Steel Valley” and “Closing Chapters: Urban Change, Religious Reform and the Decline of Youngstown’s Catholic Elementary Schools, 1960-2006.”
The program starts at 10 a.m. Jan. 18 at the Kravitz’s Deli Meeting Room, 3135 Belmont Ave., Liberty. Admission is $5 for McGuffey members and $6 for nonmembers. Reservations are recommended and can be made by calling 330-726-8277.
WEEKEND FOR DOGS: The Healthy Hearts and Paws Project, 384 Collar Price Road, Brookfield, is hosting “A Weekend Pet-away” beginning at 5 p.m. today. All HHPP pups will be made available to immediately leave for a home until Monday, at which point they can either be adopted, fostered or returned.
Any individual interested in participating in the program must provide proper identification, fill out a foster application and sign a foster agreement.
In the event that you have other dogs in your home, they must be fixed and the shelter encourages owners to bring them with them to meet the dog of interest in taking home.
Anyone who decides the “weekend pup” will stay with them permanently, the adoption fee will be reduced from $175 to $20.
For information, contact Jason at 234-855-5847 or to see the dogs available, go to facebook.com/events/s/a-weekend-pet-away-i/ 632036737623178/.
• NAR-ANON — 7 p.m., Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road SE, Warren, 12-step program for relatives and friends adversely affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. Bill, 330-856-3822.
• We Do Recover — 3 p.m., United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Glimmer of Hope — 8:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• A Better Place to Be — 10 p.m., Glenbeigh, 29 North Road, Niles.
• Gamblers Anonymous — closed meeting, 7:30 p.m., Westminster Church, 119 Stadium Drive, Boardman. 330-505-5060.
• Grief Share — recovery support group, 6:30 p.m., Seeking God’s Glory Church, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• Bible study for recovering people — 7:30 p.m., Niles Nazarene Church, Niles Vienna Road.
• Lordstown Lions bingo — 7 p.m., Lordstown administration building, 1455 Salt Springs Road. Doors open 5:30 p.m.
• Total Deliverance — 6 p.m., 2970 Parkman Road, Warren, 12-step meeting. 330-942-3597 or 330-369-2504.
• Youngstown Area Tropical Fish Society — 7:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church of Mineral Ridge, 3654 Main St. Speakers offered. 330-638-4839 or www.yatfs.com.
• The Survivors Group — 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Outpatient Facility, 160 Clifton Drive, Howland, open discussion.
• The Happy Wanderers Senior Fellowship group — 11 a.m., Corner House Christian Church, 6954 Chestnut Ridge Road, Hubbard. 330-534-4665.
• Produce Giveaway — 9:30 a.m., through September, The Warren Family Mission, 1312 W. Market St., Warren.
• Howland Group — 1 p.m. Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road.
• Saturday Here and Now Group — 4 p.m., The Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Saturday Night Serenity — 7 p.m., First Church of God, 541 South High St., Cortland.
• Seeking God’s Glory — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Parent Support Group — 11 a.m., Heart Reach Ministries, 211 Redondo Road, Youngstown. 330-330-2916.
• Overeaters Anonymous — 10 a.m., St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church, 4453 Warren Sharon Road, Vienna. 330-545-5139.
• Saturday Night Recovery– 4 p.m., Sahara Club II D, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.