MARINE RETURNS: Local Vietnam War veteran William J. Daugherty will show pictures from his recent trip to Vietnam and speak about his 50-year reunion with former U.S. Marines at a free program 11 a.m. Thursday at the Cortland Library Branch.
MENACE OF THE VALLEY: Organized crime historian and author Allan May will talk about the life of Julius Petro, who was known as “Public Enemy No. 1” and “Cleveland’s Handsomest Public Enemy,” 6 p.m. today at the Warren-Trumbull County Public Library.
The program “Petro: A Menace to the Valley” includes the brazen robbery of the Green Acres gambling casino in Struthers, as well as one of Warren’s most infamous robberies.
May is the author of five books, including “Welcome to the Jungle Inn,” “Crimetown U.S.A.” and “The Sly-Fanner Murders.” Copies of his books will be available for sale and signing at the event. Free admission.
TELESCOPE PROGRAM: Physics and Astronomy Lecture series will be held 8 p.m. Friday for high school age and older at the Ward Beecher Planetarium at Youngstown State University.
Dr. Moiya McTier of Columbia University will present “Size Isn’t Everything for Telescopes.” She will discuss different telescopes that make them better or worse suited for different areas of research.
The program is free. Call 330-941-3616 for more information.
ECLIPSE SIMULATORS: The OH WOW! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science and Technology in Youngstown will hold a “Make Eclipse Simulator” noon to 3 p.m. Thursday for ages 8 and older.
BOARD OPENING: Trumbull County commissioners are seeking to fill a board seat on the Trumbull Children Services Board. Interested Trumbull County candidates should submit a letter of interest and resume to the Board of Trumbull County Commissioners, 160 High St. NW, Warren 44481 by Thursday.
• Warren Family Mission supplemental bags of food and clothing — 10 a.m. to noon and 1 to 3 p.m., 155 Tod Ave. NW, Warren,
• Cortland Community Band — 7 p.m., Cortland Middle School, Wakefield Drive. Visit CortlandCommunityBand.org or call Pat at 330-652-2424. No auditions needed.
• Cancer Caregiver Support Group Trumbull County — 6 to 8 p.m. St. Mary’s Church, 3504 Main St., Mineral Ridge. Joyce, 330-652-0071.
• Higher Education Assistance — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. Call 330-369-3010.
• Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University — 6:30 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Wednesday Morning Recovery, Narcotics Anonymous — closed discussion 10 a.m., USW, 1375 Union Hall, Room 7, 684 N. Park Ave., Warren.
• Wednesday Here and Now — 6 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Champion Group — 6:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 3924 High St. NW, Champion.
• Niles Al-Anon — 8 p.m., New Hope United Methodist Church, 21 Fairview Ave., Niles.
• Nar-Anon — 7 p.m., First Presbyterian Church of Girard, 890 Churchill Hubbard Road, Girard. Cindy, 330-207-0845.
• God Walked In — 5 p.m., 5 Memorial Drive, Greenville, Pa.
• Cortland Area Kiwanis Club — noon, Enzo’s, Elm Road, Warren.
• Warren Rotary Club — noon, Enzo’s Restaurant, Elm Road NE.
• TOPS 1350, Cortland — 9:20 a.m. weigh-in, 10 a.m. meeting, Bazetta Township Hall, 3372 state Route 5, Bazetta.
• TOPS 1859 — 5:30 p.m. for weigh-in and meeting 6 p.m., Champion Christian Church, 151 Center St., Champion.
• Parkinson Support Group of Trumbull County — 1:30 p.m., Howland United Methodist Church, 730 Howland Wilson Road, Howland. 330-856-4286.
• PERI monthly meeting — 11:15 a.m., DiLucia’s Restaurant, 2610 Elm Road NE, Warren. 330-372-2603.
• Fourth Ward Girard Block Watch — 5 p.m. at the Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave.