Johnston fire topics presented
FIREFIGHTER TO SPEAK: Johnston Township Firefighter Jamison Conley will present a program 11 a.m. Tuesday at the Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road. The program will include the history of the Johnston Fire Department, the current services that are offered and safety topics for seniors. Call to register at 330-924-0412.
AUTUMN FEST: Windsor House at Champion, 200 E. Glendola Ave., will hold an autumn fest noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. The event will include a car show, craft show, vendors and other activities.
SLAVE ESCAPE: Rory Rennick, storyteller and magician, will present Henry “Box” Brown at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Warren-Trumbull County Public Library. This year marks the 170th anniversary of the escape of Henry “Box” Brown, a slave who arranged to have himself mailed to freedom in a wooden crate. In 1849, his quest for freedom was heralded as one of the greatest escapes of the Underground Railroad. Henry “Box” Brown became an iconic figure of the Abolition Movement after a near-death journey landed him in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and then England, where he stayed for 25 years. There, Henry continued to reinvent himself, from a fugitive slave to an accomplished lecturer and magician.
SCRAP TIRE COLLECTION: Liberty Township, through a grant from Geauga-Trumbull Solid Waste Management District, will hold the annual scrap tire collection 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday at the township administration building, 1315 Churchill Hubbard Road. No tires will be accepted before or after these dates. There is a limit of eight tires per residence. Passenger car and light truck tires only, and the rims must be removed. For information, call 330-759-1315.
SPORTSFEST: Trumbull County 4H Shooting Spirits Pioneer Club will host an NRA Youth Sportsfest, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Fish and Game Club of Vienna on state Route 193. The event is free and will teach basic archery and gun safety for ages 9 to 18. For information, call 330-898-4486.
SUNSET ON THE FARM: Mill Creek MetroParks will hold Sunset at the Farm 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday at the MetroParks Farm, 7574 Columbiana Canfield Road, Canfield. There will be folk music, a campfire, an animal barn, cider and homemade apple butter, hayrides, pony rides and a corn maze. The event is free.
• To reach the 24-hour information referral and crisis intervention service in Trumbull County, call Help Network at 330-393-1565 or 211. Call Help Network or Help Hotline at 330-747-2696 or 800-427-3606 for more information on service agencies and support groups.
• NAR-ANON — 7 p.m., Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road SE, Warren, 12-step program for relatives and friends adversely affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. Bill, 330-856-3822.
• We Do Recover — 3 p.m., United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Glimmer of Hope — 8:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• A Better Place to Be — 10 p.m., Glenbeigh, 29 North Road, Niles.
• Gamblers Anonymous — closed meeting, 7:30 p.m., Westminster Church, 119 Stadium Drive, Boardman. 330-505-5060.
• Grief Share — recovery support group, 6:30 p.m., Seeking God’s Glory Church, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• Bible study for recovering people — 7:30 p.m., Niles Nazarene Church, Niles Vienna Road.
• Lordstown Lions bingo — 7 p.m., Lordstown administration building, 1455 Salt Springs Road. Doors open 5:30 p.m.
• Total Deliverance — 6 p.m., 2970 Parkman Road, Warren, 12-step meeting. 330-942-3597 or 330-369-2504.
• Youngstown Area Tropical Fish Society — 7:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church of Mineral Ridge, 3654 Main St. Speakers offered. 330-638-4839 or www.yatfs.com.
• The Survivors Group — 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Outpatient Facility, 160 Clifton Drive, Howland, open discussion.
• The Happy Wanderers Senior Fellowship group — 11 a.m., Corner House Christian Church, 6954 Chestnut Ridge Road, Hubbard. 330-534-4665.
• Produce Give-Away — 9:30 a.m., through September, The Warren Family Mission, 1312 W. Market St., Warren.
• Howland Group — 1 p.m. Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road.
• Saturday Here and Now Group — 4 p.m., The Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Saturday Night Serenity — 7 p.m., First Church of God, 541 South High St., Cortland.
• Seeking God’s Glory — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Parent Support Group — 11 a.m., Heart Reach Ministries, 211 Redondo Road, Youngstown. 330-330-2916.
• Overeaters Anonymous — 10 a.m., St. Vincent de Paul Catholic Church, 4453 Warren Sharon Road, Vienna. 330-545-5139.
• Saturday Night Recovery– 4 p.m., Sahara Club II D, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Saturday Here and Now — 4 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Saturday Night Serenity — 7 p.m., First Church of God, 541 S. High St., Cortland.
• Saturday Night Recovery — 7 p.m. open discussion, Second Christian Church, 904 W. Market St., Warren.
• Vienna Grange 1537 — noon, Copper Penny Lodge Hall, Vienna.