Dana music school sets Friday lecture
DANA LECTURE: The Dana School of Music has announced a lecture by Eve McPherson at 4 p.m. Friday in Room 3036 of Bliss Hall. The lecture, titled “The Beautiful Voice: Style, History, and Affect in Turkish Call-to-Prayer Recitation,” is free and open to the public.
The lecture focuses on scholarship on Islamic recitation, which often refers to the primacy of “the beautiful voice.” This is especially true for the call to prayer, a public announcement of prayer times and an invitation to pray. This talk examines the beautiful voice as it has been practiced in Istanbul, Turkey, for centuries.
McPherson is an associate professor of music at Kent State University at Trumbull.
COFFEE AND CONVERSATION: Youngstown Councilwoman Anita Davis will host a “Coffee and Conversation” 10 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at Flambeau’s, 2300 Market St., Youngstown. Guest speaker will be Youngstown Water Commissioner Harry Johnson.
UNDERSTANDING KNEE / HIP PAIN: MercyHealth Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine physicians and physical therapists will discuss options for the treatment and management of common hip and knee pain with conferences throughout the year.
The next one is scheduled 5 to 7 p.m. Thursday at the Jewish Community Center of Youngstown. Dinner will be served.
Register by calling 330-480-2986. Get answers to your questions about arthritis, therapy / treatment options, and joint replacement.
CATHOLIC NURSES TO MEET: The Youngstown Chapter of Catholic Nurses will meet at noon Sept. 18 at The Manor, 3104 S. Canfield-Niles Road, Austintown. Ursuline Sister Norma Raupple will speak about English language learning and immigrant outreach in our area.
• Evening Connections support group — 6 to 7 p.m., Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown. 330-727-9268 or email staff<\@>namimv.org.
• Wellness Wednesday program — 6:30 p.m., Quaker room at Salem Public Library, 821 E. State St. Call 330-332-0042.
• It Works: How and Why — 7:30 p.m., Shrine of Our Lady, 517 S. Belle Vista Ave., Youngstown.
• TOPS 1429 — weigh-in 9 a.m., meeting 9:30 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, Hubbard.
• Willingness Group — 10:30 a.m., Salvation Army, 1501 Glenwood Ave., Youngstown.