Start biking to help buy benches
POKER RUN TO BENEFIT TRAIL: Festivities Uniting Neighborhoods — F.U.N. — is sponsoring a bicycle poker fun run to raise money to purchase recycled plastic benches along the Niles Bike Trailhead, which is part of the Western Reserve Greenway Bike Trail.
The run will be 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Niles Bike Trailhead pavilion. Registration begins at 10 a.m., and the first bike will leave at 11 a.m. Entry fee is $5 for single riders and $10 per family. There also will be a bicycle raffle, basket raffle and 50-50 raffle.
For information, email committee leader Beth at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Also, volunteers are need. Call Beth at 234-830-1876 or Becky at 330-652-4448.
BLOOD DRIVE: An American Red Cross blood drive will be held 12:30 to 5:30 p.m. Tuesday at Braceville United Methodist Church, 589 Park Road SW, Braceville. Homemade soups and fresh baked cookies are provided for all donors.
FARMERS MARKET: Newton Falls Farmers Market will be held 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Center Park, 52 E. Quarry St., Newton Falls.
YOUNGSTOWN FESTIVAL: Our Lady of Mount Carmel 25th annual Italian Festival will be held 5 to 11 p.m. Thursday to 1 to 10 p.m. July 28 on church grounds, 343 Via Mount Carmel Way, Youngstown.
Opening ceremonies are 7 p.m. Friday with awarding of three scholarships, the Man and Woman of the Year, and a morra tournament among other games and activities. There will be the crowning of Little Prince and Little Princess.
Admission is $4. Call 330-507-5203 for information.
CORTLAND BAND: Cortland Community Band will perform 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the McKinley Memorial Library grounds, North Main Street, Niles.
STORYTIME: OH WOW! The Roger and Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science & Technology in Youngstown will hold a storytime 10 a.m. Saturday for ages 5 and younger. Children will make their own pendulum creations with the Inspire Works staff and learn about physics.
Tinker Time will be held noon to 2 p.m. Saturday with children using Legos and K’nex as part of the engineering challenge.
Call 330-744-5914 for information.
GROUP TO VISIT NILES: The Journey of Hope North Team, a group of 22 cyclist and six crew members biking across the country in support of those with disabilities, will arrive in Niles Aug. 3. The team will visit Fairhaven School, which will have a dance party with the students.
The Journey of Hope team is undertaking a 4,370-mile ride across the country. The Journey of Hope team consists of Pi Kappa Phi fraternity men from across the country. The team will cycle an average of 75 miles per day ending at the United States Capitol on Aug. 10. Every cyclist commits to raising a minimum of $6,000 on behalf of people with disabilities.
• To reach the 24-hour information referral and crisis intervention service in Trumbull County, call Trumbull 211 at 330-393-1565 or 211. Call Trumbull 211 or Help Hotline at 330-747-2696 or 800-427-3606 for more information on service agencies and support groups.
• Someplace Safe Inc., domestic violence agency, offers support groups for women, children and individual support services. 330-393-3005.
• Sunday Night Our Gratitude Speaks Narcotics Anonymous — 7 p.m. Serenity Place, 29 E. Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Sunday breakfast — 8:30 to 9 a.m., Warren Family Mission, 155 Tod Ave. NW, Warren, served by Tod United Methodist Church. The mission serves meals daily at noon and 4 p.m.
• Write to Recover — 10 a.m., Meridian Place, 1184 N. Meridian Road, Youngstown.
• Master Discipleship Group — 6 p.m., Mahoning Valley Hope Center, Warren.
• Gamblers Anonymous 12-Step fellowship — 7:30 p.m. Christ Church Presbyterian Church, 3425 Hopkins Road, Cornersburg. 330-505-5060.
• Sunday Solutions — 2 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Keeping it Simple — 7 p.m., Sahara Club, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Regardless Of — 7 p.m., Christ Episcopal Church, 2627 Atlantic Ave., Warren.
• Nar-Anon — 7 p.m., Sahara Club, 2345 Youngstown Road SE, Warren, 12-step program for relatives and friends who have been adversely affected by a loved one’s addiction to drugs. Bill, 330 856-3822.
• Peer to Peer Domestic Abuse Support Group — 6 p.m., Howland United Methodist Church, 730 Howland Wilson Road NE, Warren. Church office, 330-856-3463.