This week in history

This week in history

99 years ago in 1920:

The effect of the railroad strike was keenly felt in Newton Falls. It already led to the temporary closing of the large Newton Steel plant due to inability to receive and ship freight. Other plants were suffering similarly, although because of employing fewer men, the effect had not been so severe or widespread.

A practical embargo had been placed on freight and express. The only way left goods were sent with any assurance of even reasonably prompt delivery was by parcel post.

Not only manufacturing but merchants were suffering from the continuance of the strike. They were experiencing the greatest difficulty in securing goods, shipments in some instances being a month late in arrival from distances no farther than Chicago.

50 years ago in 1969:

Paul J. Casey, volunteer junior high track coach of St. Stephen’s Elementary School in Niles, was killed and five others, including three school boys, were injured when a school bus they were riding collided with a truck near Youngstown.

The bus, which was turned completely around by the impact, was headed for the Youngstown Diocesan Track Meet at Boardman High School where it was to defend its 1968 championship.

Casey, a member of the unbeaten 1966 Niles McKinley football team, was pronounced dead on arrival at South Side Hospital, Youngstown. The students admitted in fair condition suffered injuries including skull and spine injuries, lacerations of the scalp and contusions to the legs, knees and back.

State patrolman said the truck driver swerved his truck in an attempt to avoid the collision. He was not injured.

25 years ago in 1994:

Residents of Hubbard who may have wondered why 1993 winter electric bills weren’t rough could thank the city. Officials discovered that a bill for excess electricity costs — incurred after the normal meters “peaked out” — was never passed on to customers — meaning $40,000 worth of electricity was given away by the city.

“I fully intended to fire someone,” Mayor Albert J. Sauline Jr. said, adding there turned out to be no single person to blame.

Apparently, a clerk noticed that bills seemed lower than usual, but the figures added up, said Councilman Thomas Bolchalk, D-1st Ward. Therefore, no one could figure out where the money went until the misplaced extra bill was found.

Fingers pointed to the former Auditor Donald Joshua’s office, where dozens of bills left over from the last year were still being paid a month before.

Three options presented to council to address the problem included a charge to residents spread out over several months, but the committee recommended the city wait and see.

Bolchalk, who chaired council’s committee, said he was willing to consider the incident an “honest mistake” because no money was taken and city officials were willing to leave residents with the bonus of electricity if the electric fund stayed healthy.

10 years ago in 2009:

A Youngstown letter carrier was free on bail after being arraigned on charges she ran over a firefighter’s foot.

The woman was free after posting 10 percent of $10,000 bond on a felony charge of obstructing official business and misdemeanor counts of reckless operation and misconduct at an emergency.

She pleaded not guilty to the misdeameanors and did not enter a plea to the felony.

Firefighters were at a 3 p.m. fire after high winds had blown down wires. Fire crews had the area cordoned off with cones.

The police report stated the woman told the fireman she had to deliver the mail and could go wherever she wanted. She then drove through the area and ran over the fireman’s foot.

The woman was taken to jail after police consulted prosecutors, and the fireman was treated at St. Elizabeth Health Center and later returned to duty wearing a special boot.

Compiled from the Archives of the Tribune Chronicle by Emily Earnhart


Today's breaking news and more in your inbox

I'm interested in (please check all that apply)