BOOKBAG GIVEAWAY: The Lena Mason Christian Memorial Foundation will be holding the annual free Family Fun Day and bookbag giveaway 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday at Tod Park in Girard. Last year, the event was able to give away about 500 bookbags filled with school supplies. The event will include games, face painting, clowns, surprise visitors and food. The event is held in memory of Mason and Christian, who along with their mother, Lena, were murdered on Sept. 13, 2005. The day is available to any family, whether you need a book bag or not.
KICKOFF EVENT: The Lordstown Red Devil girls soccer team will hold the team’s kickoff game at the new Lordstown Veterans Memorial Stadium, 1824 Salt Springs Road, at 5 p.m. today.
FREE GARDENING PROGRAM: Trumbull County Master Gardeners will hold a free gardening program at 6 p.m. Wednesday on geramiums at the Agriculture and Family Education Center, 520 W. Main St., Cortland. Call 330-638-6783.
GET WILD: The Lordstown Library Branch will hold Books and More: Get Wild at 4:30 p.m. today. The monthly school-age program goes outside for the summer on the library’s front garden bed to explore gardening, food, art and more. Dress to get dirty. Meets rain or shine. For children entering grades K- 6. Registration is required. Call 330-824-2094 to sign up.
BOOKS AND BASKETBALL: Dave Konczal, CEO of Books and Basketball of Ohio, Inc., recently spoke at the Howland Rotary Club. Konczal explained that the nonprofit Books and Basketball is focused on free tutoring for boys and girls grades 5-11 playing or interested in playing basketball. The nonprofit has received donations from the Covelli Corporation and many other area business. Books and Basketball is looking for partners as it moves forward in it’s mission. Interested parties should contact Konczal at firstname.lastname@example.org
• A New Day Nar-Anon Family Group — 7 p.m., Congregational Church, 612 W. Broad St., Newton Falls. Teri, 330-646-4480, or Patty, 330-307-3002.
• Better Your Future Through Hope — Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• First Things First — 6 p.m., literature discussion, Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Cortland Area Kiwanis — 5 p.m., Real Deal Coffee Cafe.
• Howland Rotary Club — noon, Shepherd of the Valley, North River Road.
• Youngstown Executive Toastmasters — 6:45 p.m., Shepherd of the Valley, 301 Western Reserve Road, Boardman. www.speakingclub.org.
• Youngstown Toastmasters Executive 408 — 6:40 p.m., Adamas Square, 8131 Market St., Boardman.
• Celebrate Recovery — 6:30 p.m., Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, Bloomfield, eight-step Christian program. 330-599-2402.
• Niles American Legion Post 106 — 6:30 p.m., post home, 1029 N. Main St, Niles. 330-652-1323.
• The Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 9678 — 7 p.m., 16013 W. High St., Middlefield. Gary, 440-321-0808.
• Kinship Association Support Meeting — 9:30 a.m., YWCA, Warren, second floor. 330-675-2617.
• Loving Outreach Surviving Suicide — 5:30 p.m., Valley Counseling, 150 E. Market St., Warren.
• Newton Falls VFW Ladies Auxiliary 3332 — 7 p.m., post home, 433 Arlington Road, Newton Falls.
• Monday Night Serenity Hall AA — 7:30 p.m., Badger Hall, First Presbyterian Church, 256 Mahoning Ave. NW, Warren.
• TOPS Ohio 1353, Leavittsburg — weigh-in 6 p.m., meeting 7 p.m., Leavittsburg Church of God, 610 S. Leavitt Road, Leavittsburg. 330-898-0357.
• TOPS Ohio 698, Girard — weigh-in 5:30 to 6:30 p.m., meeting 6:30 p.m., First Christian Church, 140 E. Broadway Ave., Girard. 330-545-4770 or 330-534-2618.
• Nothing to Fear — 10 a.m., First Presbyterian Church, 4 Summit St., Niles.
• Monday Night Miracles — 7 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• Hubbard HOW — 7:30 p.m., Church of the Nazarene, 1815 Chestnut Ridge Road, Hubbard.
• Grief Support Group — 10:30 a.m. Vienna United Methodist Church community room, 4265 Warren Sharon Road, Vienna. Sponsored by Herron Funeral Home and Hospice of the Valley. 330-399-6650.
• The Landing — 6 p.m. celebrate recovery program for teens, Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren. 330-369-3010.
• Newton Falls United Methodist Church is sponsoring Free Pack Lunches, noon to 1:30 p.m. at the park located at Maple and Newton Drive, Newton Falls.
• The Weigh Inn — weigh-in 5 to 6 p.m., meeting 6:15 p.m., Niles Senior Center, 14 E. State St. 330-652-9098.