Neighborhood group seeks volunteers
ASSOCIATION PLANS BEAUTIFICATION EFFORTS: The Historic Perkins Homestead Neighborhood Association is seeking volunteers to help at two upcoming events. Tuesday, the group will meet 9:30 a.m. in the Perkins Park rose garden behind city hall to do fall mulching. On Oct. 7 at 9:30 a.m., the group will hold the annual fall cleanup and meet in the parking lot behind city hall. After the cleanup will be refreshments at the pagoda.
HELPING TO BATTLE HUNGER: Lakeview Outreach and Fellowship in Cortland will sponsor a Rise Against Hunger food packaging program at Lakeview High School cafeteria 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Entrance is on the east side or rear of the building across from the football stadium. The event is being held to mark International Day of Peace. Tony DeFoor of Warren will sing ”Let There Be Peace on Earth.”
CENTER REMEMBERS: The Mahoning Valley Historical Society and The Youngstown Historical Center of Industry and Labor present “Remembering Black Monday: 40 Years Later,” a panel discussion with local historians and community leaders 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Tyler History Center, 325 W. Federal St., Youngstown. The Youngstown Sheet & Tube Company announced shutdowns and massive layoffs at their Campbell Works on Sept. 19, 1977. This was followed by similar announcements at Sheet & Tube’s Brier Hill Works, all of U.S. Steel Corporation’s district operations, and the Republic Steel Corporation in Youngstown between 1979 and 1981. The panel will discuss the impact and legacy of these closings. For information, contact the Historical Society at 330-743-2589 or visit www.mahoninghistory.org.
SILLY SCIENCE SUNDAY: The OH WOW! The Roger & Gloria Jones Children’s Center for Science & Technology will spill out onto the streets Sunday for the seventh annual Silly Science Sunday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in downtown Youngstown. The STEM Street Festival features hands-on exploration, demonstrations and stage shows. Admission to the festival and to OH WOW! will be free. More information can be found at http://ohwowkids.org/7-days-of-stem/ or by calling 330-744-5914.
SEED WORKSHOP: Trumbull Neighborhood Partnership is hosting a free Heirloom Seed Saving Workshop at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Secrest Community Garden on Bennett Avenue NW in Warren. Learn how to save seeds to use next year, where you can trade your heirloom seeds with others and why it is important to many gardeners. Seating is limited. Participants are asked to bring a chair and be prepared for the weather.
STIGMA WALK: National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) Mahoning Valley will hold a Steps Against Stigma Walk 10:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Saturday at Wick Park, 260 Park Ave., Youngstown.
• NAR-ANON, a 12 step program 7 p.m., Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road SE, Warren. For more information call Bill at 330-856-3822.
• We Do Recover — 3 p.m., United Methodist Community Center, 760 Main Ave., Warren.
• Glimmer of Hope — 8:30 p.m., Fellowship Hall, 2555 Rush Blvd., Youngstown.
• A Better Place to Be — 10 p.m., Glenbeigh, 29 North Road, Niles.
• Gamblers Anonymous — closed meeting, 7:30 p.m., Westminster Church, 119 Stadium Drive, Boardman. 330-505-5060.
• Grief Share — recovery support group, 6:30 p.m., Seeking God’s Glory Church, 3217 Surrey Road, Warren.
• Bible study for recovering people — 7:30 p.m., Niles Nazarene Church, Niles Vienna Road.
• Reformers Unanimous — 7 p.m., 2111 Sodom Hutchings Road, Vienna, a Christ-centered addiction abstinence program. 330-509-0001 or 330-720-2463.
• Lordstown Lions bingo — 7 p.m., Lordstown administration building, 1455 Salt Springs Road. Doors open 5:30 p.m.
• Total Deliverance 12-step meeting, 6 p.m., 2970 Parkman Road, Warren. For information, call 330-942-3597 or 330-369-2504.
• Youngstown Area Tropical Fish Society — 7:30 p.m., First Presbyterian Church of Mineral Ridge, 3654 Main St. Speakers offered. 330-638-4839 or www.yatfs.com.
• The Survivors Group — 7 p.m., Neil Kennedy Outpatient Facility, 160 Clifton Drive, Howland, open discussion.
• Howland Group — 1 p.m. Howland Community Church, 198 Niles Cortland Road.
• Saturday Here and Now Group — 4 p.m., The Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Saturday Night Serenity — 7 p.m., First Church of God, 541 South High St., Cortland.
• Seeking God’s Glory — 6:30 p.m., 3217 Surrey Ave., Warren. 330-550-3393.
• Clothing giveaway — 9 a.m., Lake Milton Church of Christ, Milton Avenue.
• Parent Support Group — 11 a.m., Heart Reach Ministries, 211 Redondo Road, Youngstown. 330-330-2916.
• Overeaters Anonymous — 10 a.m., St. Vincent DePaul Catholic Church, 4453 Warren Sharon Road, Vienna. 330-545-5139.
• Saturday Night Recovery– 4 p.m., Sahara Club II D, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Saturday Here and Now — 4 p.m., Sahara Club II, 2345 Youngstown Road, Warren.
• Saturday Night Serenity — 7 p.m., First Church of God, 541 S. High St., Cortland.
• Saturday Night Recovery — 7 p.m. open discussion, Second Christian Church, 904 W. Market St., Warren.