Former Extrudex manager expected to plead guilty

Case involves 2012 death of employee

WARREN — A manager at Extrudex Aluminum when an employee was killed by falling metal racks intends to plead guilty to lying to federal safety officials investigating the man’s death.

Paul Love of Lake Milton, safety coordinator and human resources director at Extrudex in 2012, will plead guilty Friday in federal court in Cleveland for his role in matter, according to documents filed on the court’s online docket.

He faces charges of conspiracy to obstruct justice, obstruction of justice, obstruction of proceedings and making false statements to law enforcement.

A second manager, Brian K. Carder of Stow, pleaded guilty July 11 to a charge of conspiracy to obstruct justice. He originally faced the same charges as Love minus the making false statements charge.

Carder, general manager of the North Jackson plant in 2012, will be sentenced Oct. 15 in Cleveland.

The charges stemmed from a 2018 investigation looking into the 2012 death of John Tomlin Jr. of Niles.

Tomlin, 21, was killed Oct. 30, 2012, during an incident at the plant when two metal racks stacked on top of each other, weighing between 4,000 and 5,000 pounds, tipped over onto him and another employee. The two men were pushing the racks on a roller conveyor system, according to a police report.

The U.S. Occupational Safety and Health Administration began its investigation Oct. 31, 2012, and learned of multiple emails concerning safety issues with the roller system.

Carder and Love devised a plan to lie to an OSHA investigator, an indictment against the pair states. They persuaded employees, by suggesting their jobs might be in jeopardy, to draft statements recanting previous emails about safety issues, according to the indictment. Also during an interview with OSHA, Love gave false information about safety issues, the indictment states.

Extrudex pleaded guilty to a charge of deliberately concealing knowledge of a felony in April. Sentencing for the company is set for Aug. 1, also in Cleveland, court records show.