SCOPE BUS TRIPS: SCOPE Senior Services once again is offering one-day bus trips to several locations each month for the rest of the year for area seniors who like to travel.
Trip operators John Sinclair and Sharon Grover organize trips for members based on the most requests. Anderson Tours and Travel will transport members.
• Aug. 25, a one-day casino trip to Pittsburgh Rivers Casino is being finalizing with both a $5 food voucher and $20 in free play for our seniors.
• Sept. 16, a one-day trip to Chautauqua Lake, N.Y., for a lunch cruise, a visit to the Lucille Ball Desi Arnaz Museum in Jamestown, N.Y., a stop at the Courtyard Winery, in Erie, Pa., with free mini samples, and dinner at Cracker Barrel on the way home.
For more details or to make a reservation, contact Jim Ezzo at SCOPE from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m. Tuesdays through Thursdays, at 330-399-8846. Leave a message.
PERI LUNCHES RESUME: After a one-year hiatus of suspended meetings due to the coronavirus, the Mahoning County Chapter 18 of Public Employee Retirees Inc. will reconvene noon Aug. 10 at the Avion Banquet Center, 2177 W. Western Reserve Road, Canfield. The cost for lunch is $15. There will be a door prize and a raffle.
Reservations for lunch are due by Aug. 2 to Mary Grace at 330-507-9718 or Diane at 330-547-9612.
Annual dues are $10. Information for membership can be obtained by calling Marilyn at 330-565-6913.
FARMINGTON SENIOR CENTER: 150 College St., Farmington, is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 7 a.m. to noon Mondays. Call 330-889-2733.
• Mondays, breakfast, full menu, 7 a.m.
• Lunches featuring home cooking for $3 for 60 and older and $5 for younger than 60. Lunch menu posted on Facebook page.
• Wednesdays, 10 a.m., chair yoga with Versa.
• Thursdays, 1 p.m., chair water bottle workout with Jim Marlowe.
• Book Worms book club, 1 p.m. Thursdays.
• T.O.P.S. meeting starting soon. Call 330-889-2733 or visit the Farmington Senior Center facebook page.
• Aug. 4, UH present “Eat Well to Feel Well” at noon. There is no charge.
SCOPE CENTERS OFFER LUNCHES: Newton Falls, Niles and Warren SCOPE Senior Citizen Centers have reopened to host senior citizen nutritional lunches as coordinated by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs with a grant through Direction Home of Eastern Ohio. Lunches also are served at the Girard, Hubbard and Johnston Senior Centers.
To make a reservation, call 330-675-2486 or the appropriate center three days ahead of time. Donation is $3 for those 60 and older. Those younger than 60 pay $5.50. The SCOPE Senior Centers serve lunches five days per week. Check with each center for lunch times.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at six locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. three working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 153 Grove Drive, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Newton Falls Senior Center, 612 Broad St., Newton Falls, 12:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-306-9577.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
The menu is:
• Today — Sliced turkey with gravy, stuffing, mixed veggies, tossed salad with Italian dressing, dinner roll, applesauce, cookie;
• Monday — Potato-crusted fish with tartar sauce, mac and cheese, green beans, sweet and sour coleslaw, pears, pudding;
• Tuesday — Salisbury steak with gravy, scalloped potatoes, corn wheat bread, peaches, angel food cake;
• Wednesday — Chicken breast with Marsala sauce, buttered bow ties, seasoned Brussels sprouts, dinner roll, mixed fruit, mini loaf;
• Thursday — Cabbage casserole, shipped potatoes, carrots, wheat bread, fresh apple, cookie;
• July 30 — Homemade chicken salad, potato salad, diced cucumbers with Italian dressing, sandwich bun, Mandarin oranges, ice cream.
MEMORY SCREENINGS VIRTUAL: The Alzheimer’s Foundation of America is offering a free virtual memory screening. Appointments can be scheduled by calling AFA at 866-232-8484 or by visiting www.alzfdn.org. Screenings are conducted every Monday, Wednesday and Friday through secure videoconference. There are no minimum age or insurance prerequisites.
To schedule a screening or for more information about brain health and lifestyle choices that can help promote healthy aging, visit AFA’s website at www.alzfdn.org or call AFA’s Helpline at 866-232-8484.