OMBUDSMAN PROGRAM: Direction Home of Eastern Ohio (formerly Area Agency on Aging 11) is looking for volunteers to join the Ombudsman Program to advocate for excellence for those living in long-term care facilities.
Ombudsman help ensure that residents of long-term care facilities receive quality care and treatment. Volunteers will make phone calls and virtual visits to residents.
The training to become a certified volunteer will be provided virtually. Call 330-505-2338 for more information.
SENIOR VOLUNTEERS: The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of the Mahoning Valley is looking for volunteers. For information, contact Leah at 330-480-0352, Ext. 3.
RSVP is a national service program for individuals 55 and older who want to volunteer in Mahoning and Trumbull counties. These volunteers also will assist with community events.
The Senior Support Action Group is a coalition of community partners working together to assist the seniors in the valley with access to food, transportation to medical appointments and companionship through the Phone Pals program.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at seven locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 153 Grove Drive, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-545-5350.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Newton Falls Senior Center, 612 Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
The menu is:
• Today — Roast beef with au jus, potato wedges, broccoli and carrots, sandwich bun, mixed fruit, angel food cake;
• Monday — Bratwurst, scalloped potatoes, peas, hot dog bun, pineapple tidbits, pudding;
• Tuesday — Chicken divan, white rice, lima beans, wheat bread, tossed salad with French dressing, peaches, cookie;
• Wednesday — Cold Greek chicken salad with diced chicken, mozzarella cheese, tomatoes, cucumbers and olives, dinner roll, pears, mini muffin;
• Thursday — Cottage pie, whipped potatoes, warm cinnamon apples, coleslaw, biscuit, ice cream;
• Jan. 15 — Baked ham with pineapple glaze, mashed sweet potatoes, Harvard beets, wheat bread, mixed fruit, cookie.
FOOD DELIVERY: Direction Home of Eastern Ohio is partnering with various agencies for Families First Coronavirus Response Act funding for no-contact food deliveries to seniors 60 and older:
• Trumbull — Trumbull Office of Elderly Affairs, 330-675-2486;
• Mahoning and Columbiana — Easter Seals, 330-884-2513, or Jewish Family Services, 330-746-7929;
• Ashtabula — Ashtabula County Community Action, 440-998-3244, Ext. 334.