MEDICARE CHECK-UP FOR SENIORS: The deadline to change Medicare Advantage managed-care plans and Medicare Part D prescription drug plans is Dec. 7, and changes will take effect Jan. 1.
Staff at Direction Home of Eastern Ohio offers free telephone or video Medicare Check-Ups to discuss plans and what’s different for the coming year. Certified staff will review medications, doctors and pharmacies and offer a comparison on plans that provide coverage.
Direction Home staff do not sell insurance and only provide information to you.
For a free Medicare Check-Up or information on Medicare savings programs like Extra Help, contact Direction Home of Eastern Ohio at 330-505-2300 or 1-800-686-7367.
RETIREES MEETING CANCELED: The Howland Schools Retirees lunch meeting scheduled for Nov. 3 has been canceled. Contact Mary at 330-856-5226 for information or to share news for the next newsletter.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at seven locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 153 Grove Drive, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-545-5350.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Newton Falls Senior Center, 612 Broad St., Newton Falls.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
The menu is:
• Today — Smoky barbecue burger with cheddar cheese and crispy onions, sandwich bun, sweet puffs, broccoli and cauliflower, pineapple tidbits, angel food cake;
• Monday — Swedish meatballs, dinner roll, egg noodles, peas, tossed salad with French dressing, mixed fruit, sherbet;
• Tuesday — Seasoned chicken taco meat with cheddar cheese and lettuce, white rice, tortilla shell, black beans with salsa, fresh fruit, mini loaf;
• Wednesday — Cold turkey Reuben, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut and bun, potato salad, three-bean salad, Mandarin oranges, angel food cake;
• Thursday — Cabbage casserole, wheat bread, whipped potatoes, carrots, applesauce, cookie;
• Oct. 30 — White chicken chili, biscuit, confetti corn, warm peaches, pudding.
SCSEP OFFERS TRAINING: SCOPE Senior Services Centers have been providing host job sites along with other nonprofits in the area for the Vantage Aging Senior Community Service Employment Program. This program offers paid job training and placement to low-income adults 55 and older.
Besides age, requirements are to be unemployed and looking for training for a job. For additional information or to receive an application, call Vantage Aging at 330-782-0978 or SCOPE Senior Services at 330-399-8846.
The SCSEP is funded by the U.S. Department of Labor and the Ohio Department of Aging.