FOOD PROGRAM FOR ELDERLY: SCOPE Senior Services, Trumbull Neighborhood Partners and the Mercy Health Foundation are providing free fruits and vegetables to the elderly who are mostly homebound.
The Fresh Produce Box program is funded through Mercy Health Foundation of Mahoning Valley in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
The program originally was intended to provide participants in the 2020 Fruit and Vegetable Prescription Program early access to fruits and vegetables. As this crisis continues, it was decided to contact SCOPE Senior Services that already delivers the most food in Trumbull County.
SCOPE has been operating a Traveling Pantry grocery food truck along with Second Harvest Food Bank and the Warren Salvation Army since July 2015. In past summers, SCOPE partnered with Trumbull Neighborhood Partners and Trumbull County Combined Health District to pick up produce at farmers markets to be delivered.
The Mercy Health FVRxP program will run through the fresh market season ending in October.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at seven locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 153 Grove Drive, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-545-5350.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Newton Falls Senior Center, 612 Broad St, Newton Falls.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
• West Farmington Senior Center, 151 College St., noon Tuesday through Friday (except third Tuesday of every month). Call 330-889-2733.
The menu is:
• Today — Pepper steak with gravy, wheat dinner roll, brown rice, tossed salad, fresh fruit, cookie;
• Monday — Closed for Labor Day;
• Tuesday — Cheeseburger with mustard, sandwich bun, potato wedges with ketchup, broccoli, pineapple tidbits, sherbet;
• Wednesday — Warm Monte Cristo Sandwich (ham and cheese), French toast rounds with syrup, breakfast potatoes, carrots, fruit juice box, cookie;
• Thursday — Roasted sliced turkey with gravy, biscuit, whipped potatoes, seasoned Brussels sprouts, peaches, pudding;
• Sept. 11 — Breaded fish square with tartar sauce, wheat bread, macaroni and cheese, stewed tomatoes, sweet-and-sour coleslaw, fresh fruit, mini loaf.
FALL PREVENTION GUIDE: The Ohio Department of Public Safety Division of EMS joined with the Ohio Injury Prevention Partnership and released an updated “Elderly Fall Prevention Resource Guide” for EMS providers and the general public.
Download a copy of the guide at www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/EMS5934.pdf.
SENIOR RIDES: Applications to use the senior rides services are available by calling Diane Siskowic-Jurkovic, Trumbull County senior levy administrator, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at 330-675-7846, by emailing her at SLJurkov@co.trumbull.oh.us, or online at http://seniorlevyser vice.co.trumbull.oh.us. They also can be picked up at Trumbull County SCOPE centers in Warren, Howland, Champion, Cortland, Lordstown and Niles.
For rides, seniors can call:
• Comfort Care-A-Van, 330-744-4145, for wheelchair trips or any other trip over 10 miles;
• All American USA Taxi, 330-395-3226, for non-wheelchair rides 10 miles or less;
• Country Neighbor, 440-437-6311, for any trip originating in the northern tier of the county;
• Garwin Inc., 330-534-1335, for non-wheelchair rides 10 miles or less.
RSVP IN THE VALLEY: The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Mahoning Valley is a national service program for individuals 55 and older who want to volunteer in Mahoning and Trumbull counties.
For more information, contact program coordinator Leah Sakacs at email@example.com or at 330-480-0352, Ext. 3.
NEW SITE: The Lordstown SCOPE Center previously located at the Lordstown Elementary School has relocated and become the Newton Falls SCOPE, 612 Broad St., Newton Falls. Once the site opens after COVID-19, lunch will be served at 12:15.
FOOD DELIVERY: Direction Home of Eastern Ohio is partnering with various agencies for Families First Coronavirus Response Act funding for no-contact food deliveries to seniors 60 and older:
• Trumbull — Trumbull Office of Elderly Affairs, 330-675-2486;
• Mahoning and northern Columbiana — Easter Seals, 330-884-2513, or Jewish Family Services, 330-746-7929;
• Columbiana — Easter Seals, 330-884-2513;
• Ashtabula — Ashtabula County Community Action, 440-998-3244, Ext. 334.