FALL PREVENTION CLASS: Girard Community Center is hosting “A Matter of Balance,” an award-winning program designed to manage falls and increase activity levels, from 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday, and March 19, 24, 26 and 31 at the Liberty Township Building. Materials and snacks will be provided.
Registration is required and seating is limited. Call Jen at the center, 330-545-6596, for more information.
JUDGE TO SPEAK: Judge James A. Fredericka, Trumbull County Common Pleas Probate Court, will speak about probate court services and the Guardian Angels program, after the the Cortland SCOPE’s 11:30 a.m. luncheon meeting March Wednesday at the Cortland Christian Church, 153 Grove Drive.
TAX-AIDE AVAILABLE: AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is the nation’s largest free tax-assistance and preparation service, offering tax preparation help to anyone — AARP members and nonmembers — who cannot afford a tax preparation service.
Below is a listing of eight Trumbull County sites for the 2020 tax season. Volunteers are trained and equipped by AARP and certified by the IRS, and will prepare federal and state returns through April 15.
Tax preparation is free for low- to moderate-income individuals, families and seniors. Those using the service need to have with them a photo ID, Social Security cards, last year’s return, income information and Affordable Care Act Forms 1095.
• Warren SCOPE Center, 375 North Park Ave., Warren — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday; 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
• Hubbard Library, 436 W. Liberty St., Hubbard — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays. Appointment required, 330-534-3512.
• Niles SCOPE, 14 E. State St., Niles — 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays. Appointment required, 330-544-3676.
• Howland Township Building, 205 Niles Cortland Road, Warren — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., Girard — 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Appointment required, 330-545-6596.
• Lordstown SCOPE, 1776 Salts Springs Road, Lordstown — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays. Appoint required, 330-399-8846.
• Otterbein United Methodist Church, 1128 State Road, Warren — 9 to 11:30 a.m.
• Liberty Township Building, 1315 Churchill Hubbard Road, Liberty — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at seven locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 153 Grove Drive, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-545-5350.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Lordstown SCOPE, 1776 Salt Springs Road, 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-824-2173.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
• West Farmington Senior Center, 151 College St., noon Tuesday through Friday (except third Tuesday of every month). Call 330-889-2733.
The menu is:
• Today: White chicken chili, biscuit, confetti corn, warm peaches, pudding;
• Monday: Barbecue pork riblet, sandwich bun, au gratin potatoes, lima beans, pears, sherbet;
• Tuesday: Cold corned beef Reuben, sandwich bun, potato salad, three-bean salad, pineapple tidbits, Leprechaun fluff;
• Wednesday: Swedish meatballs, wheat bread, whipped potatoes, peas, mixed fruit, vanilla dots;
• Thursday: Crab cake, sandwich bun, cheesy twists, baked beans, Mandarin oranges, cookie;
• March 20: Rotisserie chicken with gravy, dinner roll, noodles, glazed carrots, tomato salad, fresh fruit, ice cream.
911 SPECIAL NEEDS REGISTRY: To be placed on the Trumbull County 911 Special Needs Registry Program to alert first responders in case of emergency, fill out forms at the Trumbull County Commissioners Office, the Trumbull County Recorder’s Office, all Trumbull County SCOPE centers or on the county 911 website at www.trumbull911.co.trumbull.oh.us under the “Special Needs” tab.
For information, contact Mauro DiVieste, special needs coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 330-675-7966.
SENIOR RIDES: Applications to use the senior rides services are available by calling Diane Siskowic-Jurkovic, Trumbull County senior levy administrator, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at 330-675-7846, by emailing her at SLJurkov@co.trumbull.oh.us, or online at seniorlevyservice.co.trumbull.oh.us. They also can be picked up at Trumbull County SCOPE Centers in Warren, Howland, Champion, Cortland, Lordstown and Niles.
For rides, seniors can call:
• Comfort Care-A-Van, 330-744-4145, for wheelchair trips or any other trip over 10 miles;
• All American USA Taxi, 330-395-3226, for nonwheelchair rides 10 miles or less;
• Country Neighbor, 440-437-6311, for any trip originating in the northern tier of the county;
• Garwin Inc., 330-534-1335, for nonwheelchair rides 10 miles or less.
RSVP IN THE VALLEY: The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Mahoning Valley is a national service program for individuals 55 and older who want to volunteer in Mahoning and Trumbull counties.
For more, contact program coordinator Leah Sakacs at email@example.com or at 330-480-0352, Ext. 3.
McDONALD COMMUNITY ROOM: 500 Ohio Ave. Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays.
For information, call director Millie Ritz at 330-288-0015 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
VAN HUFFEL, VANEX MEET: Former Van Huffel and Vanex Tube employees meet 8 a.m. Fridays at Wayside Restaurant, 825 State Road NW, Champion.
For information, call 330-719-9781.
GIRARD MULTI-GENERATIONAL CENTER, 443 Trumbull Ave. For information, call 330-545-6596 or go to www.multigen.org. There is a coffee bar every morning, 8:30 to 11 a.m. Meals are offered Monday through Friday through the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs.
• Due to the Center being a voting site on Election Day, Tuesday, there are no programs that day except for yoga and Pilates;
• Movies in the parlor, 9:30 a.m. Thursdays;
• Walking the block, 10 a.m. Tuesdays;
• Parkinson’s support group meets 1:30 p.m. the second Wednesday of every month;
• Stretch exercises, 9:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays;
• St. Patrick’s Day Potluck Luncheon, noon Monday;
• Bingo with Ashley from Aetna, 9:15 a.m. Wednesday;
• Healthy Living for Your Brain and Body Seminar, 9:30 a.m. March 24. The Alzheimer’s Association will give tips on the latest research in areas of diet, nutrition, exercise, cognitive activity and social engagement. RSVP by calling 1-800-272-3900;
• Paint-and-Taste with Mimi’s Paint and Sip, 1:30 p.m. March 25. Sign up by Wednesday. Cost is $15 and the event is for members only. Call the center to register;
• Spring potluck breakfast, 9 a.m. March 31. Bring a favorite dish to share and come dressed in your brightest spring colors. Call the center to register;
• Caregiver Support Group, 1:30 p.m the third Friday of every month, with a facilitator from Direction Home of Eastern Ohio.
FARMINGTON SENIOR CENTER: 150 College St., Farmington, is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 7 a.m. to noon Mondays, with breakfast open to public. Lunch is served Tuesday through Friday with an order two days prior. Call 330-889-2733.
• Available activities every day include Wii bowling, puzzles and cards;
• Massage therapy twice a month;
• Blood pressures, by Geauga UH, first Monday of the month;
• Ladies Day, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month. A group of Amish ladies gather to quilt and socialize and sell their wares. All ladies are welcome;
• Chair yoga, 10 a.m. Wednesdays;
• Book club, 1 p.m. fourth Thursday of each month.
FOWLER-VIENNA SENIOR CITIZENS: The group meets 9:30 a.m. or later Thursdays at the Fowler Community Center to play cards, dominoes and euchre. The center is for those 55 and older.
For information, call Charles Williams at 330-609-0318.
JOHNSTON SENIOR CENTER: 5922 Warren Road, Johnston, is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. The center offers a variety of activities throughout the week, such as chair yoga, chair massages, crafts, exercise, bingo, Pilates and other activities. Call the center at 330-924-0412 for schedules.
• Chair massage, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays;
• Chair yoga, 10 to 11 a.m. Mondays;
• Wednesdays exercise with weights, balls and bands, 1 to 2 p.m.;
• Meditative yoga, 1 to 2 p.m. Fridays.
HOWLAND SCOPE: 8273 High St., Howland. To register for one or more classes, call Howland SCOPE at 330-609-7806.
• The Bridge Club is accepting new members from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at the center. Bring a sack lunch.
AUSTINTOWN SENIOR CENTER, 112 Westchester Drive, Austintown; 330-953-1416; austintownseniorcenter.org. Open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays.
NILES SCOPE: 14 E. State St., Niles, 330-544-3676. Open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday. For lunch, call two days ahead by 2 p.m.
• KaleidoSCOPE Art Program, 1 to 3 p.m. Fridays;
• Bingo, card games, book discussion and Monday night cards — call for days and times;
• Computer class, 9 a.m. Wednesday and Friday — call for more information;
• Richard Wyant teaches ukulele class at 9 a.m. every Thursday.
WARREN SCOPE: 375 N. Park Ave., Warren, 330-399-8846. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday. For lunch, call two days ahead by 2 p.m.
• Open Forum Book Club, 10 to 11 a.m. the last Wednesday of each month;
• A chess league for seniors is being organized. Players at all skill levels are invited to join. Free lessons will be available. Contact Marge at 330-399-8846 for more information.
CORTLAND SCOPE: 153 Grove Grove Drive, Cortland, 330-509-2415. Open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays, except for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays. Bingo is 12:30 p.m. Mondays. For lunch, call two days ahead by 2 p.m.
• Open help sessions for people with laptop or software computer problems is offered each Friday starting at noon, only if someone signs up for that Friday. To sign up, email email@example.com prior to the desired help session date.
LORDSTOWN SCOPE: Rear of Lordstown Elementary School, 1776 Salt Springs Road, Lordstown, 330-824-2173. Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. For lunch, call two days ahead by 2 p.m.
• The center is looking for seniors 55 and older interested in playing mahjong, Mexican train dominoes, pinochle, hand and foot, and euchre. Beginners are welcome. Contact Marge Haley at 330-399-8846.
COUNTRY NEIGHBOR: Country Neighbor Community Center, 39 S. Maple St., Orwell, Mondays through Fridays. All proceeds benefit the services and programs of Country Neighbor. For reservations or information, call Melissa May, program coordinator, at 440-437-6311, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or log onto www.facebook.com/Country-Neighbor.