WINTER SOCIAL FOR SENIORS: Community leaders from across the Mahoning Valley are tackling the problem of loneliness with a program called the Mahoning Valley Social Isolation and Loneliness Initiative, We Thrive Together.
SCOPE Senior Centers are partnering with hChoices and Steve Pelton, president of hChoices, a Youngstown Business Incubator portfolio company focused on helping individuals achieve optimal wellness.
We Thrive Together officially starts this month with a Winter Social 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday in the Chestnut Room of Kilcawley Center at Youngstown State University. The goal of the event is to bring together individuals 50 and older and individuals with developmental disabilities.
Youngstown State University’s Gerontology and Long Term Care Administration programs, along with the Gerontology Student Organization also are partnering for this event.
To RSVP for the Winter Social or to learn more about We Thrive Together, contact Alyssa Covert at alyssa@wethrive together.org, call 330-727-9452 or visit wethrivetogether.org.
TAX-AIDE AVAILABLE: AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is the nation’s largest free tax assistance and preparation service, offering tax preparation help to anyone — AARP members and nonmembers — who cannot afford a tax preparation service.
Below is a listing of eight Trumbull County sites for the 2020 tax season. Volunteers are trained and equipped by AARP and certified by the IRS, and will prepare federal and state returns through April 15.
Tax preparation is free for low- to moderate-income individuals, families and seniors. Those using the service need to have with them a photo ID, Social Security cards, last year’s return, income information and Affordable Care Act Forms 1095.
• Warren SCOPE Center, 375 North Park Ave., Warren — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday; 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
• Hubbard Library, 436 W. Liberty St., Hubbard — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays. Appointment required, 330-534-3512.
• Niles SCOPE, 14 E. State St., Niles — 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays. Appointment required, 330-544-3676.
• Howland Township Building, 205 Niles Cortland Road, Warren — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
• Girard Multi-generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., Girard — 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Appointment required, 330-545-6596.
• Lordstown SCOPE, 1776 Salts Springs Road, Lordstown — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays. Appoint required, 330-399-8846.
• Otterbein United Methodist Church, 1128 State Road, Warren — 9 to 11:30 a.m.
• Liberty Township Building, 1315 Churchill Hubbard Road, Liberty — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at seven locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 153 Grove Drive, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-545-5350.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Lordstown SCOPE, 1776 Salt Springs Road, 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-824-2173.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
• West Farmington Senior Center, 151 College St., noon Tuesday through Friday (except third Tuesday of every month). Call 330-889-2733.
The menu is:
• Today: Roast beef with au jus, sandwich bun, Swiss cheese, potato wedges, broccoli and carrots, mixed fruit, lemon cupcake;
• Monday: Closed, Presidents Day;
• Tuesday: Chicken divan, heat bread, white rice, lima beans, tossed salad with French dressing, peaches, cookie;
• Wednesday: Cottage pie, biscuit, whipped potatoes, coleslaw, cinnamon apples, ice cream;
• Thursday: Cold Greek chick-en salad with Italian dressing, dinner roll, pears, mini muffin;
• Feb. 21: Baked ham with pineapple glaze, wheat bread, mashed sweet potatoes, Harvard beets, fresh fruit, gelatin.
911 SPECIAL NEEDS REGISTRY: To be placed on the Trumbull County 911 Special Needs Registry Program to alert first responders in case of emergency, fill out forms at the Trumbull County Commissioners Office, the Trumbull County Recorder’s Office, all Trumbull County SCOPE centers or on the county 911 website at www.trumbull911.co.trumbull.oh.us under the “Special Needs” tab.
For information, contact Mauro DiVieste, special needs coordinator, at email@example.com. oh.us, or at 330-675-7966.
SENIOR RIDES: Applications to use the senior rides services are available by calling Diane Siskowic-Jurkovic, Trumbull County senior levy administrator, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at 330-675-7846, by emailing her at SLJurkov@co.trumbull.oh.us, or online at seniorlevyservice.co. trumbull.oh.us. They also can be picked up at Trumbull County SCOPE Centers in Warren, Howland, Champion, Cortland, Lordstown and Niles.
For rides, seniors can call:
• Comfort Care-A-Van, 330-744-4145, for wheelchair trips or any other trip over 10 miles;
• All American USA Taxi, 330-395-3226, for nonwheelchair rides 10 miles or less;
• Country Neighbor, 440-437-6311, for any trip originating in the northern tier of the county;
• Garwin Inc., 330-534-1335, for nonwheelchair rides 10 miles or less.
RSVP IN THE VALLEY: The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Mahoning Valley is a national service program for individuals 55 and older who want to volunteer in Mahoning and Trumbull counties.
For more, contact program coordinator Leah Sakacs at lsakacs @fcsohio.org or at 330-480-0352, Ext. 3.
McDONALD COMMUNITY ROOM: 500 Ohio Ave. Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays.
For information, call director Millie Ritz at 330-288-0015 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
VAN HUFFEL, VANEX MEET: Former Van Huffel and Vanex Tube employees meet 8 a.m. Fridays at Wayside Restaurant, 825 State Road NW, Champion.
For information, call 330-719-9781.
GIRARD MULTI-GENERATIONAL CENTER, 443 Trumbull Ave. For information, call 330-545-6596 or go to www.multigen.org. There is a coffee bar every morning, 8:30 to 11 a.m. Meals are offered Monday through Friday through the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs. No meal program on Feb. 17.
• Movies in the parlor, 9:30 a.m. Thursdays;
• Walking the block, 10 a.m. Tuesdays;
• Parkinson’s support group meets 1:30 p.m. the second Wednesday of every month;
• Stretch exercises, 9:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays;
• Craft class, 9:30 a.m. Feb. 18. Call the center to sign up.
FARMINGTON SENIOR CENTER: 150 College St., Farmington, is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 7 a.m. to noon Mondays, with breakfast open to public. Lunch is served Tuesday through Friday with an order two days prior. Call 330-889-2733.
• Available activities every day include Wii bowling, puzzles and cards;
• Massage therapy twice per month;
• Blood pressures, by Geauga UH, first Monday of the month;
• Ladies Day, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month. A group of Amish ladies gather to quilt and socialize and sell their wares. All ladies are welcome;
• Chair yoga, 10 a.m. Wednesdays;
• Book club, 1 p.m. fourth Thursday of each month.
FOWLER-VIENNA SENIOR CITIZENS: The group meets 9:30 a.m. or later Thursdays at the Fowler Community Center to play cards, dominoes and euchre.
For information, call Charles Williams at 330-609-0318.
JOHNSTON SENIOR CENTER: 5922 Warren Road, Johnston, is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. The center offers a variety of activities throughout the week, such as chair yoga, chair massages, crafts, exercise, bingo, Pilates and other activities. Call the center at 330-924-0412 for schedules.
• The next craft is 12:30 p.m. Feb. 25 and will be sponsored by Concord Care.
• Chair massage, 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Tuesdays.
• Chair Yoga, 10 to 11 a.m. Mondays.
• Wednesdays an exercise program that includes weights, balls and bands from 1 to 2 p.m.
• Meditative Yoga class is 1 to 2 p.m. Fridays.
HOWLAND SCOPE: 8273 High St., Howland. To register for one or more classes, call Howland SCOPE at 330-609-7806.
• The Bridge Club is accepting new members from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at the center. Bring a sack lunch.