HOSPITAL RETIREES MEET: St. Joseph Warren Hospital retirees will meet for breakfast 9:30 a.m. Jan. 27 at Wayside Restaurant in Champion. Retired and former employees from St. Joseph or Warren General Hospital are welcome to attend.
Attendees are requested to bring nonperishable items for food bank donation.
PERI TO MEET: Public Employee Retirees Chapter 18 will meet Feb. 4 at the Avion Banquet Center in Canfield. Cost is $14 per person. There will be a raffle prize along with a 50/50 raffle.
Guest speaker will be attorney Joseph Schiavoni, who will discuss the importance of the court system.
Absentee ballot applications will be available for the early primary election on March 17.
Ohio Public Employees Retirement System retirees and future retirees are welcome to join PERI Chapter 18. Future retirees under OPERS unable to attend the meeting / luncheons are encouraged to join Chapter 18 yearly to receive the newsletter to keep informed of the pension and health changes from OPERS.
Annual dues to become a member are $10 and spouses can join as associate members for $5. Dues for 2020 can be paid at the meeting.
Reservations for lunch must be made by Monday with Helen Verdream, 330-629-8227, Mary Grace Welsh, 330-743-8425, or Ceil Kidd, 330-533-2149.
RETIREES The Howland Schools Retirees will meet at 11 a.m. Feb. 4 at Enzo’s Restaurant in Warren. There will be a collection of pick-up-and-go breakfast bars and winter hats, gloves and scarves for the Paws Pantry at Howland High School.
For more information about the group, call Mary at 330-856-5226.
TAX-AIDE AVAILABLE: AARP Foundation Tax-Aide is the nation’s largest free tax assistance and preparation service, offering tax preparation help to anyone — AARP members and nonmembers — who cannot afford a tax preparation service.
Below is a listing of eight Trumbull County sites for the 2020 tax season. Volunteers are trained and equipped by AARP and certified by the IRS, and will prepare federal and state returns Feb. 1 through April 15.
Tax preparation is free for low- to moderate-income individuals, families and seniors. Those using the service need to have with them a photo ID, Social Security cards, last year’s return, income information and Affordable Care Act Forms 1095.
• Warren Scope Center, 375 North Park Ave., Warren — 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday; 4 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
• Hubbard Lirary, 436 W. Liberty St., Hubbard — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Mondays. Appointment required, 330-534-3512.
• Niles Scope, 14 E. State St., Niles — 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Fridays. Appointment required, 330-544-3676.
• Howland Township Building, 205 Niles Cortland Road, Warren — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Tuesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
• Girard Multi-generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., Girard — 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Appointment required, 330-545-6596.
• Lordstown Scope, 1776 Salts Springs Road, Lordstown — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Thursdays. Appoint required, 330-399-8846.
• Otterbein United Methodist Church, 1128 State Road, Warren — 9 to 11:30 a.m.
• Liberty Township Building, 1315 Churchill Hubbard Road, Liberty Township — 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Appointment required, 330-399-8846.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at seven locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 153 Grove Drive, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-545-5350.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Lordstown SCOPE, 1776 Salt Springs Road, 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-824-2173.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
• West Farmington Senior Center, 151 College St., noon Tuesday through Friday (except third Tuesday of every month). Call 330-889-2733.
The menu is:
• Today: White chicken chili, biscuit, confetti corn, warm peaches;
• Monday: Mushroom Swiss burger with sandwich bun, au gratin potatoes, lima beans, pears, sherbet;
• Tuesday: Mango barbecue chicken breast, dinner roll, brown rice, island blend, sweet-and-sour coleslaw, pineapple tidbits, cupcake;
• Wednesday: Sweedish meatballs, wheat bread, egg noodles, peas, tossed salad with French dressing, mixed fruit, Vanilla Dots;
• Thursday: Crab cake, sandwich bun, tartar sauce, cheesy twists, baked beans, Mandarin oranges, cookie;
• Jan. 31: rotisserie chicken with gravy, dinner roll, whipped potatoes, glazed carrots, fresh fruit, pumpkin fluff.