PERI TO MEET: Public Employee Retirees, PERI Chapter 18, will meet Dec. 3 at the Avion Banquet Center. Luncheon cost is $13. There will be a 50/50 raffle and other raffle gifts. Entertainer Rachaell Joy will perform songs of the season.
OPERS retirees and future retirees are welcome to join Chapter 18. Future retirees under OPERS unable to attend the meeting / luncheons, are encouraged to join Chapter 18 yearly to receive the newsletter to keep informed of the pension and health changes from OPERS. Dues for 2020 can be paid at the meeting.
For more information, call Helen Verdream at 330-629-8227, Mary Grace Welsh at 330-743-8425, or Ceil Kidd at 330-533-2149.
CREIGHTON SPEAKS TO TRT: Trumbull Retired Teachers will welcome Janet Creighton as guest speaker for a noon luncheon Dec. 10 at Ciminero’s Banquet Centre. She will share slides, stories and memorabilia about “Christmas in the White House” in 2008.
Make reservations by Sunday for the luncheon by sending $12 to Dee Sullivan, 1125 Townsend Ave., Youngstown, Ohio 44505-1267 330-360-2243. No walk-ins are permitted.
CHRISTMAS LUNCH: Alcan / Novelis Retirees Christmas Luncheon will be held Dec. 10 at Dilucia’s Banquet Center, 2610 Elm Road, Warren. Lunch is $15. Doors open at noon and lunch begins at 12:30 p.m.
Reservations are a must by Dec. 2, by contacting Bob Gardner at 330-397-3789 (or text) and Robert Kovach at 330-856-2590. Leave your full name and how many attending.
MATTER OF BALANCE: The Girard Multi-Generational Center is offering a series of classes to help older adults deal with “A Matter of Balance.” The class is an award-winning program designed to help seniors manage falls and increase activity levels. Classes at the center will be 1 to 3 p.m. Dec. 3, 5, 10, 12, 17, 19, 26 and 31.
Materials and snacks will be provided and registration is required by contacting Jen at the center at 330-545-6596.
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at seven locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 153 Grove Drive, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-545-5350.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Lordstown SCOPE, 1776 Salt Springs Road, 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-824-2173.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
• West Farmington Senior Center, 151 College St., noon Tuesday through Friday (except third Tuesday of every month). Call 330-889-2733.
The menu is:
MONDAY: Seasoned chicken taco meat with cheese and lettuce, white rice, totilla chips, fiesta veggies, fresh fruit, gelatin;
TUESDAY: Swedish meatballs, dinner roll, egg noodles, peas, tossed salad with French dressing, mixed fruit, ice cream;
WEDNESDAY: Cold turkey Reuben, sandwich bun, potato salad, three bean salad, Mandarin oranges, spice cupcake;
THURSDAY: Baked cabbage roll, wheat bread, whipped potatoes, carrots, applesauce, cookie;
DEC. 6: White chicken chili, biscuit, confetti corn, warm peaches, pudding.
SCOPE RIDES: SCOPE and the Trumbull County Transit Board provides seniors 60 and older free rides to and from the centers 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday, and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekends and holidays. Call the center directly three days in advance of the desired trip.
YARN NEEDED: Area SCOPE Centers are in need of yarn and fabric for their needle arts programs. Yarn can be delivered to any SCOPE or call 330-399-8846 for pickup.
911 SPECIAL NEEDS REGISTRY: To be placed on the Trumbull County 911 Special Needs Registry Program to alert first responders in case of emergency, fill out forms at the Trumbull County Commissioners Office, the Trumbull County Recorder’s Office, all Trumbull County SCOPE centers or on the county 911 website at www.trumbull911.co.trumbull.oh.us under the “Special Needs” tab.
For information, contact Mauro DiVieste, special needs coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or at 330-675-7966.
SENIOR RIDES: Applications to use the senior rides services are available by calling Diane Siskowic-Jurkovic, Trumbull County senior levy administrator, 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday at 330-675-7846, by emailing her at SLJurkov@co.trumbull.oh.us, or online at seniorlevyser vice.co.trumbull.oh.us. They also can be picked up at Trumbull County SCOPE Centers in Warren, Howland, Champion, Cortland, Lordstown and Niles.
For rides, seniors can call:
• Comfort Care-A-Van, 330-744-4145, for wheelchair trips or any other trip over 10 miles;
• All American USA Taxi, 330-395-3226, for nonwheelchair rides 10 miles or less;
• Country Neighbor, 440-437-6311, for any trip originating in the northern tier of the county;
• Garwin Inc., 330-534-1335, for non-wheelchair rides 10 miles or less.
RSVP IN THE VALLEY: The Retired and Senior Volunteer Program of Mahoning Valley is a national service program for individuals 55 and older who want to volunteer in Mahoning and Trumbull counties.
For more, contact program coordinator Leah Sakacs at email@example.com or at 330-480-0352, Ext. 3.
McDONALD COMMUNITY ROOM: 500 Ohio Ave. Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays.
For information, call director Millie Ritz at 330-288-0015 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
VAN HUFFEL, VANEX MEET: Former Van Huffel and Vanex Tube employees meet 8 a.m. Fridays at Wayside Restaurant, 825 State Road NW, Champion.
For information, call 330-719-9781.
GIRARD MULTI-GENERATIONAL CENTER, 443 Trumbull Ave. For information, call 330-545-6596 or go to www.multigen.org. There is a coffee bar every morning, 8:30 to 11 a.m. Meals are offered Monday through Friday through the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs.
• Movies in the parlor, 9:30 a.m. Thursdays;
• Walking the block, 10 a.m. Tuesdays;
• Parkinson’s support group meets 1:30 p.m. the second Wednesday of every month;
• Stretch exercises, 9:30 a.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays;
• Medicare open enrollment ends Dec. 7. Ohio Senior Health Insurance Information Program volunteers will be at the center Tuesday by appointment only;
• Holiday potluck breakfast, 9 a.m. Dec. 5. Call the center to sign up;
• Monthly Birthday Celebration, 9:15 a.m. Dec. 10;
• Craft Class, 9:30 a.m. Dec. 10. Sign-ups are required by calling the center.
• Block Watch Holiday Party, 5 p.m. Dec. 11.
FARMINGTON SENIOR CENTER: 150 College St., Farmington, is open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 7 a.m. to noon Mondays, with breakfast open to public. Lunch is served Tuesday through Friday with an order two days prior. Call 330-889-2733.
• Available activities every day include Wii bowling, puzzles and cards;
• Massage therapy twice a month;
• Blood pressures, by Geauga UH, first Monday of the month;
• Ladies Day, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month. A group of Amish ladies gather to quilt and socialize and sell their wares. All ladies are welcome;
• Chair yoga, 10 a.m. Wednesdays;
• Book club, 1 p.m. fourth Thursday of each month.
FOWLER-VIENNA SENIOR CITIZENS: The group meets 9:30 a.m. or later Thursdays at the Fowler Community Center to play cards, dominoes and euchre. The center is for those 55 and older. For information, call Charles Williams at 330-609-0318.
JOHNSTON SENIOR CENTER: 5922 Warren Road, Johnston, is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The center offers chair yoga, chair massages, crafts, exercise, bingo, Pilates and other activities. Call the center at 330-924-0412 for schedules.
HOWLAND SCOPE: 8273 High St., Howland. To register for one or more classes, call Howland SCOPE at 330-609-7806.
• The Bridge Club is accepting new members from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays at the center. Bring a sack lunch.
AUSTINTOWN SENIOR CENTER, 112 Westchester Drive, Austintown; 330-953-1416; austintownseniorcenter.org. Open 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Fridays.
NILES SCOPE: 14 E. State St., Niles, 330-544-3676. Open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday. For lunch, call two days ahead by 2 p.m.
• KaleidoSCOPE Art Program, 1 to 3 p.m. Fridays;
• Bingo, card games, book discussion and Monday night cards — call for days and times;
• Computer class, 9 a.m. Wednesday and Friday — call for more information;
• Richard Wyant teaches ukulele class at 9 a.m. every Thursday;
• Self-defense classes, 2 p.m. Tuesdays.
WARREN SCOPE: 375 N. Park Ave., Warren, 330-399-8846. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday. For lunch, call two days ahead by 2 p.m.
• Open Forum Book Club, 10 to 11 a.m. the last Wednesday of each month;
• Self-defense classes, 10 a.m. Tuesdays.
CORTLAND SCOPE: 153 Grove Grove Drive, Cortland, 330-509-2415. Open 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays, except for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays. Bingo is 12:30 p.m. Mondays. For lunch, call two days ahead by 2 p.m.
• Open help sessions for people with laptop or software computer problems is offered each Friday starting at noon, only if someone signs up for that Friday. To sign up, email email@example.com prior to the desired help session date.
LORDSTOWN SCOPE: Rear of Lordstown Elementary School, 1776 Salt Springs Road, Lordstown, 330-824-2173. Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. For lunch, call two days ahead by 2 p.m.
• The center is looking for seniors 55 and older interested in playing mahjong, Mexican train dominoes, pinochle, hand and foot, and euchre. Beginners are welcome. Contact Marge Haley at 330-399-8846.
CHAMPION SCOPE: 528 Educational Highway, Warren, 330-847-0503, Ext. 1638. Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday. Lunch on your own Tuesday and Thursday.
COUNTRY NEIGHBOR: Country Neighbor Community Center, 39 S. Maple St., Orwell, Mondays through Fridays. All proceeds benefit the services and programs of Country Neighbor. For reservations or information, call Melissa May, program coordinator, at 440-437-6311, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or log onto www.facebook.com/Country-Neighbor.