PAIN CONFERENCE: Earth Angel Farm, a nonprofit group formed to create healthy opportunities for people living with physical and developmental disabilities, is holding a winter conference on alternative pain management.
The winter conference will take place 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday at the Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital in Warren. The focus will be on natural ways to manage and cope with chronic pain, including from multiple sclerosis and migraine headaches, and the benefits of medical marijuana.
Keynote speakers include Melissa Kerr, doctor of physical therapy, Dr. Alissa Willis, Dr. Cynthia Bamford and Leo Debevc. Speakers come from organizations such as the Cleveland Clinic Foundation and the Cleveland School of Cannabis.
The cost is $25 per person. Register at 330-856-5003 or by email at earthangelfarm @gmail.com, or pay at the door. A give-back program is available for those who cannot afford to attend.
INNOVATIONS CONFERENCE: “Innovations Conference 2019: Common Ground” will bring together residents, nonprofits and businesses as well as government and other community leaders to explore how to find common ground to address health inequities in the Mahoning Valley.
The keynote speaker is Karen Washington, a farmer, activist, co-owner of Rise & Root Farm and co-founder of Black Urban Growers.
The conference will be 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. March 14 at the Jewish Community Center, 505 Gypsy Lane, Youngstown. Advance registration is required through March 7, online www.cfmv.org or by calling the Community Foundation of the Mahoning Valley at 330-743-5555. The registration fee is $20 per person.
MERCY HEALTH FITNESS: Throughout 2019, a wide variety of fitness classes designed to tone, improve flexibility, build strength, and improve overall health will be available throughout Mahoning and Trumbull counties as part of the Stepping Out program.
Stepping Out aims to improve the overall health and wellbeing of Mahoning Valley residents by providing fitness programs, health screenings, informational programs and food demonstrations. Classes include aerobics, chair aerobics, line dancing, Zumba, core strength training, fitness walking and kettle bell workouts. They take place Monday through Saturday.
In Trumbull County, classes are held at Grace AME Church, Niles Wellness Center and Trumbull Family Fitness.
Call 330-720-3293 for class schedules or to register.
GRIEFSHARE: Howland United Methodist Church, 730 Howland Wilson Road NE, will offer GriefShare sessions from 1 to 3 p.m. Sundays March 3 to June 2.
GriefShare is a Christ-Centered grief support group for those who have lost a loved one to death. Each session is self-contained, but weekly attendance is encouraged. For information, call HUM church, 330-856-3463. Registration is available at www.griefshare.org
GRIEF RECOVERY GROUPS: Grief Recovery Instructional Support Groups (GRIP) will meet 6 p.m. Tuesdays at the Kelley-Robb-Cummins Funeral Home Care Center, next to the funeral home at 709 N. Main St., Hubbard.
Groups led by Philip Roland are open to anyone who has suffered the loss of a loved one. For information, contact Bill or Candee at the funeral home, 330-534-1952.
PROSTATE CANCER GROUP: A Prostate Cancer Group will meet 7 to 8:30 p.m. the first Wednesday of odd months at Radiation Oncology Center at Trumbull Regional Medical Center, 353 E. Market St., Warren. The group is open to anyone touched by prostate cancer either by diagnosis or by supporting a loved one with prostate cancer.
There is a core group of three to four survivors who regularly attend. Register nurse Jack Norton is the facilitator for the group.
WALK AND TALK: Members of Kent State Trumbull’s Student Nurses Association recently launched the “Walk and Talk with a Nurse” program at the Niles Wellness Center.
From 9 to 11 a.m. on the second and fourth Monday of every month, students will join members of the Wellness Center to participate in a variety of physical activities. During the activities, members are encouraged to talk and ask questions about health and activity.
HELP GROUP: Lighthouse is a group for recovering addicts and for anyone struggling mentally, physically, spiritually and emotionally for any reason. Meetings are 1 p.m. Mondays at the Warren Revival Center Fellowship Hall, 4400 W. Market St., Leavittsburg.
For information, call Jackie at 330-898-4295.
ADDICTION SCREENINGS: Narconon can help families take steps to help someone overcome addiction. Call 800-431-1754 for free screenings or referrals.
For information, visit www.narcononnewliferetreat.org/blog/intervention-101.
CIRCLE OF HOPE: Circle of Hope, a support group for those with mental health diagnosis, meets 6:30 p.m. the second and fourth Monday of each month at Grace United Methodist Church, 1725 Drexel Ave. NW, Warren.
For information, call 330-502-8103.
PARKINSON’S PROGRAM: Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital fitness program for people with Parkinson’s disease meets 12:45 to 1:45 p.m. Fridays at the hospital, 8747 Squires Lane NE, Howland.
For information or to register, call 330-841-3893 or visit www.vcprograms.net.
WELLNESS CLINICS: Shepherd of the Valley is offering wellness clinics at each of its locations in Trumbull County. A nurse will check blood pressure and blood glucose levels.
Monthly clinics are 10 to 11 a.m. the second Wednesday at 1500 McKinley Ave., Niles, and the fourth Wednesday at 4100 North River Road, Howland.
For information, call 330-530-4041 or email email@example.com.
HEALTH DEPARTMENT VACCINATIONS: The Trumbull County Combined Health District offers vaccinations to children and adults.
For information, call 330-675-2590, Ext. 3. Adult TB testing is available by appointment.
HEALTH SCREENINGS: Neighborhood Health Watch provides free health screenings once a month at Niles SCOPE. Call 330-480-2011 for schedule.
NAMI SUPPORT GROUPS: NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support and education to those dealing with serious mental illness. Support groups are as follows:
NAMI Mahoning Valley offers support and education to those dealing with serious mental illness. Support Groups are:
• Evening Connections — 6 p.m. first and third Monday of each month, Homes for Kids Building, 165 E.Park Ave., Niles;
• Evening Connections — 6 p.m. second and fourth Thursday of each month, AltaCare Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown;
• Daytime Connections — 2:30 every Wednesday,Community Center, 1344 Fifth Ave., Youngstown.
Family Support Groups are:
• Daytime Family Support Group — 11 a.m. first Thursday of each month, Girard Library,105 Prospect St., Girard;
• Evening Family Support Group — 7 p.m. second Tuesday of each month, Alta Care Building, 142 Javit Court, Austintown.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL, Eastwood Mall, Niles. Hours 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday. 330-652-7542
• Free blood pressure screenings — 9 a.m. to noon Tuesday to Thursday and 2 to 4 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday;
• Strong Bones Program — Free 12-week program of personalized strength training for those with osteoporosis or low-bone density;
• Monthly exercise classes — Cardio Jam group exercise, SilverSneakers Cardio, Silver Sneakers Classic, Easy Yoga and Chair Yoga, an exercise class for people with Parkinson’s, Zumba, Zumba Gold, SilverSneaker Balance class and Drums and Muscles workout class;
• Free notary public services and living wills and durable power of attorney for health care — 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday;
• Free peripheral vascular disease screening — 1 to 4 p.m. Thursday. By appointment only;
• Walk With A Doc — 7:45 to 8:45 a.m. Friday, with Dr. Frank Beck, DDS, and Youngstown Phantom Hockey players. Free giveaways for those that register ahead of time and refreshments;
• Fit for the Cure — 8:30 a.m. to noon March 4, bra fitting by a certified bra fitter from Dillard’s. Wacoal bras will donate to Susan G. Komen Foundation for each fitting or purchase. Call for an appointment.;
• Mercy Health Mobile Mammography — 8:30 a.m. to noon March 5. The bus will be in St. Joe’s at the Mall parking area. Call to schedule a visit;
• Carotid arteries or abdominal aortic aneurysm screening — 8:30 to 11 a.m. March 6, by appointment only.