ANGELS NEEDED: Guardian Angels of Trumbull County, a volunteer program of the Trumbull County Probate Court, is looking for volunteers. Angel volunteers receive training to become advocates who reach out as friends to seniors who may need a phone call, a visit in a nursing home or a visit at home. Angels are also involved in planning special events for seniors.
The next meeting is 5 p.m. Oct. 2 at Shepherd of the Valley, 4100 North River Road, Howland. For information, call 330-675-2521 or go to www.trumbullprobate.org.
YARN NEEDED: Area SCOPE Centers are in need of yarn and fabric for their needle arts programs. Yarn can be delivered to any SCOPE or call for pickup at 330-399-8846.
FALL PREVENTION GUIDE: The Ohio Department of Public Safety Division of EMS joined with the Ohio Injury Prevention Partnership and released an updated Elderly Fall Prevention Resource Guide for EMS providers and the general public.
Download a copy of the guide at www.publicsafety.ohio.gov/links/EMS5934.pdf .
NUTRITION SITES AVAILABLE: The Trumbull County Nutrition Program for the Elderly is provided by the Trumbull County Office of Elderly Affairs and operates nutrition sites at seven locations in the county. Meals will be delivered to county residents 60 and older who are homebound, unable to cook for themselves and not living with someone who can cook for them. Client donations are accepted. For information, call 330-675-2486. Reservations must be made by 2 p.m. two working days in advance.
• Cortland SCOPE, 125 N. Bank St., noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-637-3010.
• Girard Multi-Generational Center, 443 Trumbull Ave., 2 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-545-5350.
• Hubbard Senior Center, 220 W. Liberty St., 3 p.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-534-3812, Ext. 2200.
• Johnston Senior Center, 5922 Warren Road, noon Monday through Friday. Call 330-924-0412.
• Lordstown SCOPE, 1776 Salt Springs Road, 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-824-2173.
• Warren SCOPE, 375 N. Park Ave., 11:30 a.m. Monday through Friday. Call 330-399-8846.
• West Farmington Senior Center, 151 College St., noon Tuesday through Friday (except third Tuesday of every month). Call 330-889-2733.
The menu is:
TODAY: Meatballs and sauce over pasta with sauce, Italian bread, Italian green beans, Caesar salad with dressing, applesauce and ice cream;
MONDAY: Country fried chicken with creamy gravy, biscuit, whipped potatoes, peas and carrots, fresh fruit, gelatin;
TUESDAY: Hawaiian pork chop, wheat bread, blended rice pilaf, island blend vegetables, sweet and sour coleslaw, cinnamon sliced apples, ice cream;
WEDNESDAY: Sloppy Joe, sandwich bun, Ranch seasoned potatoes, broccoli, peaches, cookie;
THURSDAY: Chicken piccata, white bread, buttered bowties, green beans, tossed salad with French dressing, Mandarin oranges, pudding;
OCT. 5: Warm roast beef sandwich au jus and cheese, sandwich bun, potato wedges, mixed vegetables, pineapple tidbits, cupcake.
SCOPE RIDES: SCOPE and the Trumbull County Transit Board provide seniors 60 and older free rides to and from the centers 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Mondays through Fridays, and 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekends and holidays. Call the center directly three days in advance of the desired trip.
TMM NEEDS VOLUNTEERS: Trumbull Mobile Meals, a community-based service agency dedicated to providing a home-delivered meal service to Trumbull County residents who are homebound, needs volunteers to help deliver meals.
TMM uses 45 to 50 volunteers to prepare, package and deliver meals to more than 200 individuals on a daily basis. People can volunteer as infrequently as once a month.
Call Terri Dean at Trumbull Mobile Meals at 330-394-2538.
McDONALD COMMUNITY ROOM: 500 Ohio Ave., is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday.
VAN HUFFEL, VANEX MEET: Former Van Huffel and Vanex Tube employees meet 8 a.m. Fridays at Wayside Restaurant, 825 State Road NW, Champion. For information, call 330-719-9781.
GIRARD MULTI-GENERATIONAL CENTER, 443 Trumbull Ave. For information, call 330-545-6596 or go to www.multigen.org. There is a coffee bar every morning, 8:30 to 11 a.m.
• Art class, 1 to 3 p.m. Fridays with artist Kathryn Infante.
• Movies in the parlor, 9:30 a.m. Thursdays.
• Walking the block, 10 a.m. Tuesdays.
• Today is the last day of the center’s food drive for Emmanuel Care Center. There will be a drawing for those who participate. The winner will be announced at the annual apple cookoff Oct. 2, which is open to the public.
SENIOR CENTER: Ohio Living Home Health and Hospice Senior Center, 1110 Fifth Ave., Youngstown, offers chair yoga 1 p.m. Fridays. Call 330-744-5071.
FARMINGTON SENIOR CENTER: 150 College St., Farmington, is open 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 7 a.m. to noon Mondays. Lunch is served Tuesday through Friday with an order two days prior. Call 330-889-2733.
• Available activities every day include Wii bowling, puzzles and cards.
• Massage therapist twice a month.
• Blood pressures, by Geauga UH, first Monday of the month.
• Ladies Day, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. the third Tuesday of the month. A group of Amish ladies gather to quilt and socialize and sell their wares. All ladies welcome.
• Chair yoga, 9 a.m. Wednesdays
JOHNSTON SENIOR CENTER: 5922 Warren Road, Johnston, is open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The center offers chair yoga, chair massages, crafts, exercise, bingo, Pilates and other activities. Call the center at 330-924-0412 for schedules.
HOWLAND SCOPE: 8273 High St., Howland. To register for one or more classes, call Howland SCOPE at 330-609-7806.
NILES SCOPE: 14 E. State St., Niles, 330-544-3676. Open 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday.
• KaleidoSCOPE Art Program, 1 to 3 p.m. Fridays.
• Bingo, card games, book discussion and Monday night cards — call the center for days and times.
WARREN SCOPE: 375 N. Park Ave., Warren, 330-399-8846. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday. Food pantry hours are 10 a.m. to noon Thursdays.
• Open Forum Book Club, 10 to 11 a.m. the last Wednesday of each month;
CORTLAND SCOPE: 125 N. Bank St., Cortland, 330-637-3010. 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. weekdays, except for 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursdays. Bingo is Mondays at 12:30 p.m.
FOWLER-VIENNA SENIOR CITIZENS: The group meets 9:30 a.m. or later Thursdays at the Fowler Community Center. The center is for those 55 and older.
LORDSTOWN SCOPE: Rear of Lordstown Elementary School, 1776 Salt Springs Road, Lordstown, 330-824-2173. Open 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The center is looking for seniors 55 and older who are interested in playing mahjong. Lessons will be available for beginners. The center is also looking for card players for pinochle, hand and foot, and euchre. A Mexican train dominoes group is also being formed. Beginners are welcome.
Contact Marge Haley at 330-399-8846.
CHAMPION SCOPE: 528 Educational Highway, Warren, 330-847-0503, Ext. 1638. Open 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday through Thursday.
AUSTINTOWN SENIOR CENTER: 100 Westchester Drive. Open 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday. 330-953-1416.
COUNTRY NEIGHBOR: Country Neighbor Community Center, 39 S. Maple St., Orwell, Mondays through Fridays. All proceeds benefit the services and programs of Country Neighbor. For reservations or information, call Melissa May, program coordinator, at 440-437-6311, email email@example.com, or log onto www.facebook.com/Country-Neighbor.