Free & Fun
Rock or country, blues or reggae, big band or jazz whatever the genre, there’s probably a chance to hear it for free sometime this summer at an area park.
Free outdoor concerts can be found nearly every day of the week in Trumbull and Mahoning counties and neighboring communities.
Some financing is provided by the Performance Trust Funds provided by the Recording Industry Association of America and administered by the American Federation of Musicians, but most of the funding these days comes from local businesses, corporate sponsors and foundations/grants.
In addition to providing free outdoor entertainment for the community, the series provide exposure and performance opportunities for area musicians, who dominate the summer schedules.
Here are some of the places were readers can find free outdoor entertainment through Labor Day.
SUMMER NIGHT SPECIALS
Performances in this concert series presented by the Fine Arts Council of Trumbull County at the Warren Community Amphitheatre, 303 Mahoning Ave. N.W., Warren, start at 7 p.m.
- June 12 Warren Community Gospel
- June 19 Blue Lunch (blues/swing)
- July 10 Classic Cruisers (’50s-’80s)
- July 17 Youngstown’s Total Package (R&B/funk/jazz)
- July 24 Damian Knapp (blues/rock) and Black Ivy (blues/rock)
- July 25 Carlos Jones and the P.L.U.S. Band (reggae)
- July 31 The Top Notes (big band)
- Aug. 14 Alton Merrell (jazz)
NOON IN THE PARK
Concerts start around noon Fridays at the gazebo on Courthouse Square, West Market Street and North Park Avenue, Warren. Lunch options will be available.
- June 13 Rebecca Wohlever (folk)
- June 20 Sam & Gary (contemporary)
- June 27 Trumbull Art Gallery Summerfest Parade, Chalk on the Walk and the Top Notes (big band)
- July 11 Del Sinchak Band (polka)
- July 18 Teddy Pantelas (jazz)
- July 25 Take II Band (classic rock)
- Aug. 1 J.D. Eicher (acoustic)
W.D. PACKARD CONCERT BAND SUMMER LAWN CONCERTS
The W.D. Packard Concert Band moves its performances from inside Packard Music Hall, 1703 Mahoning Ave. N.W., Warren, to its south lawn band shell when the weather gets warm. Concerts start at 7 p.m. unless specified otherwise.
- June 8 W.D. Packard Concert Band with Stephen L. Gage, conductor, Dylan Kollat, xylophone, Stephanie Carter, piccolo and Davis James Colella, euphonium
- June 22 W.D. Packard Concert Band with Stephen L. Gage, conductor, and Timothy Shade, euphonium
- July 4 W.D. Packard Concert Band Fourth of July Concert with Stephen L. Gage, conductor, and Helen Welch, vocalist, at 8 p.m., followed by fireworks
- July 18 Packard Dixieland Band at 7:30 p.m.
- July 19 Big Band Sound of Packard at 7:30 p.m.
- July 20 W.D. Packard Concert Band
- Aug. 3 W.D. Packard Concert Band with Frank Tracz, guest conductor
- Aug. 17 W.D. Packard Concert Band with Stephen L. Gage, conductor, at 7:30 p.m.
MCKINLEY MEMORIAL LIBRARY
Concerts take place on the lawn of the McKinley Memorial Library, 40 N. Main St., Niles, and move inside to the Memorial in the vent of bad weather. All concerts start at 7 p.m.
- June 19 Vocal Alliance (barbershop quartet)
- June 26 Dixieland Dandies and Girard Community Band
- July 10 Guys Without Ties (classic rock) and the Friends of the Library Summer Picnic
- July 17 Don Burns Orchestra (big band)
- July 24 Tropical Sunsations (steel drum)
- July 31 Cortland Community Band
- Aug. 7 Liverpool Lads (Beatles tribute)
LORDSTOWN VILLAGE SUMMER CONCERTS
All concerts take place in the pavilion at Founders Park, Salt Springs Road and Tod Avenue S.W. and start at 6:30 p.m. unless specified otherwise.
- June 22 Calypso Gypsies Band (steel drum) at 2:30 p.m.
- July 17 Grady Miller Band
- Aug. 7 Amanda Jones & the Family Band
GIRARD CONCERT SERIES
Concerts start at 7 p.m. Sundays at Tod Park on Park Avenue
- June 15 John Ruman Combo
- June 22 John Gabriele
- June 29 Al-Ray Combo
- July 6 Rocco Monaco Band
- July 20 Mahoning Valley Button Box Club
- July 27 The Dixieland Dandies
- Aug. 3 Frank Gallo Band
- Aug. 10 Jim Frank Combo
MCDONALD CONCERT SERIES
Programs start at 7 p.m. Thursdays at Ramsay Memorial Pavilion , Fifth Street and Ohio Avenue.
- July 10 Frank Gallo Band
- July 17 John Ruman combo
- July 24 Youngstown Symphonic Band
- July 31 Jim Frank Combo
- Aug. 7 Mahoning Valley Button Box Club
- Aug. 14 Don Burns Orchestra
MOSQUITO LAKE MARINA
The Marina, located on the south end of the lake on State Route 305 in Bazetta across from the main launch ramp, hosts outdoor concerts, which start at 5 p.m. unless specified otherwise.
- July 5 The Island Doctor (Caribbean)
- July 12 Alex Bevan (folk)
- July 19 Amanda Jones and the Family Band (originals/Sugarland tribute)
- July 26 Mystic Taxi (classic rock/dance)
- Aug. 2 Mark Leach (country)
- Aug. 9 Rudy and the Professionals
- Aug. 16 Shockwave (dance)
NEWTON FALLS SUMMER CONCERTS
Two free outdoor concerts currently are planned with the possible addition of a third concert to be announced.
- June 20 The Marshall Llowery Band on Broad Street from 7 to 11 p.m.
- July 5 Guy Without Ties at City Park on Quarry Street, from 8 p.m. to midnight.
AUSTINTOWN CONCERTS IN THE PARK
Concerts take place at Township Park, 6000 Kirk Road, Austintown, from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
- June 3 The Nasty Habits Band (classic rock and blues)
- June 10 Sunshine Riders (’70s/originals)
- June 17 Youngstown Area Community Concert Band
- June 24 Frank Gallo (Italian)
- July 1 Canfield Community Concert Band
- July 8 Train Wreck (modern country)
- July 15 Border Ride (bluegrass)
- July 22 Amanda Jones & The Family Band
- July 29 The Wrangler Band (modern country/classic rock)
- Aug. 5 Uptown Saturday Night (’50s-’80s)
- Aug. 12 Jim Frank Combo (big band/polka/waltzes) and the Vista Care Center Senior Art Exhibit
- Aug. 19 Sound Bite (classic rock)
LIVE! AT THE MORLEY
Mill Creek MetroParks features concerts at the Wick Recreation Area’s Judge Morley Pavilion at 7 p.m. unless specified otherwise.
- June 25 Winslow
- July 2 Youngstown Community Concert Band
- July 9 Blue Lunch
- July 16 Amanda Jones & the Family Band
- July 27 Teddy Pantelas Trio at 5 p.m. and Rudy & the Professionals at 6:45 p.m. for Sunfest
- July 30 J.D. Eicher and the Goodnights
- Aug. 6 Don Burns Orchestra
- Aug. 13 The River’s Own
- Aug. 20 Easy Street Productions
Concert start at 7 p.m. unless specified otherwise at Maag Outdoor Arts Theatre, at Boardman Park, 375 Boardman-Poland Road.
- June 5 Frank Gallo Orchestra
- June 12 Rex Taneri Band
- June 19 Jim Frank Combo
- June 26 Jack Vasko Band
- July 3 Youngstown Symphonic Band and the Mahoning Valley Chorale
- July 6 U.S. Army Field Band at 8 p.m., followed by fireworks
- July 10 Don Burns Orchestra
- July 17 Del Sinchak Band
- July 24 Backbeat
- July 31 Following June
- Aug. 7 EV2 Band
- Aug. 14 Guys Without Ties
- Aug. 21 Rocco Monaco Band
- Aug. 28 Butch Nichols Band
CANFIELD SUMMER CONCERT SERIES ON THE GREEN
Concerts starts at 7 p.m. on the Village Green on State Route 46.
- June 16 The Community Band
- June 23 Jim Frank Combo
- June 30 Jack Vasko Band
- July 7 The Dixieland Dandies
- July 14 Rocco Monaco Band
- July 21 Youngstown Symphonic Band
- July 28 Don Burns Orchestra
- Aug. 4 The Community Band
POLAND CONCERT SERIES
Concerts are scheduled at 7 p.m. Mondays at the Gazebo on the Village Green at Main Street.
- June 16 Wayne Tomsic Combo
- June 23 Butch Nichols Band
- June 30 The Dixieland Dandies
- July 7 Frank Gallo Band
- July 14 Rocco Monaco Band
- July 21 Jack Vasko Band
- July 28 Rocco Monaco Band
- Aug. 4 Polka Magic
STRUTHERS SUMMER CONCERT SERIES
Concerts start at 7 p.m. Thursdays at Mauthe Park, 156 Smithfield St.
- June 19 Rocco Monaco Band
- June 26 Guys Without Ties
- July 3 John Ruman Combo
- July 17 Frank Gallo Band
- July 24 Following June
- July 31 Rex Taneri Band
BUHL FARM PARK SUMMER CONCERT SERIES
Concerts take place in the Performing Arts Center at Buhl Farm Park, 715 Hazen Road, Hermitage, Pa. Wednesday concerts start at 6:30 p.m., and Sunday performances start at 6 p.m. unless specified otherwise.
- June 15 Buhl Community Concert Band
- June 18 Max Schang
- June 22 Makin’ Changes
- June 25 Nick Fiasco
- June 29 Canfield Community Band
- July 2 J.D. Eicher and the Goodnights
- July 6 FX Project
- July 9 Grant Street Exit
- July 13 Randy Velez
- July 16 Youngstown Community Band
- July 20 Mercer Community Band
- July 23 Rick Hornyak
- July 27 The Sensations
- July 30 Youngstown Fine Brass Quintet
- Aug. 3 Ballet Theatre Shenango Valley at 7 p.m.
- Aug. 6 Square Roots
- Aug. 10 Wrangler Band
- Aug. 13 Lawrence County Band
- Aug. 17 Sound Bite
- Aug. 20 Pipe Dreams
- Aug. 24 The Four Kings & Queen