LEARN DIABETIC DIET BASICS: The Niles City Health Department is sponsoring a free “Healthy Eating For Diabetes” session from 1 to 1:45 p.m. Friday at the Mayor Ralph Infante Wellness Center, 213 Sharkey Drive, Niles.
Presented by Youngstown State University dietetic students, the program will review carbohydrate basics and more. For information, call 330-349-9355.
SUPPORT GROUP OFFERED: The Mahoning Valley New Voice Club, a support group for laryngectomees and their families / friends, will meet at 6 p.m. April 10 at the Youngstown Hearing and Speech Center, Beeghly Medical Park, 6614 Southern Blvd., Youngstown. Call 330-726-8855.
CENTER OFFERS EXAMS: The Mahoning Valley Hope Center, 3217 Surrey Road, will offer different screenings for vision, dental and health exams. Appointments are necessary at 330-369-3010.
BRIDGES GROUP TO MEET: Bridges, a free mental health educational, 10-week course, will meet 5 to 7 p.m. Tuesdays at Trumbull Memorial Hospital, 1350 E. Market St., Warren. Call Nancy at 330-747-5111 to sign up.
WARREN CITY OFFERS IMMUNIZATION CLINIC: The Warren City Health Department will hold a childhood immunization clinic from 9 to 11 a.m. and 1 to 3 p.m. April 22 at the Warren City Health Department Community Services Building, 418 Main Ave. S.W., Warren. Child must feel well and have updated shot record. A $10 administration fee is charged or Medicaid cards are accepted. For more information, call 330-841-2596.
NILES OFFERS IMMUNIZATIONS: Niles City Health Department, 34 W. State St., is offering an immunization clinic from 8:30 to 9:30 a.m. Wednesday and April 17. Child’s immunization records are needed and the child should be feeling well, with no illness, fever or rash. Children younger than 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
GIRARD OFFERS FLU SHOT: The Girard City Health Department will offer flu vaccines between 9 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, by appointment only. Appointments can be scheduled by calling the health department at 330-545-6048.
FLU CLINIC TO BE HELD: A flu clinic will be held from 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. daily at Warren West Community Health Center, 716 Tod Ave., Warren. Walk-ins are welcome. For more information, call 330-373-0222.
FREE SKINCARE SOIREE: “I am in the Mood for Fun,” a free skincare soiree will be held from 7 to 9:30 p.m. Saturday at World of Fitness, 14 Youngstown Warren Road, Niles. A skincare team will discuss skin concerns. There will be displays and information on wellness, fitness and yoga. Door prize donations will be given to the Hope Foundation of the Mahoning Valley to help those who are terminally and chronically ill.
PROGRAM OFFERED FOR DEALING WITH ISSUES: An eight-step Christian program based on the Beatitudes is open to anyone dealing with a life-controlling habit or issue. It meets from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Mondays at the Bloomfield Recovery Center, 10113 Creaser Ashtabula Road, Bloomfield. For more details, call 330-599-2402.
ST. JOE’S AT THE MALL – Open 8 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays; and 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays. Located next to Sears at the Eastwood Mall.
Free blood pressure screenings every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday from 9 a.m. to noon and Monday from 1 to 3 p.m. and Tuesday from 2 to 4 p.m.
Strong Bones~Strong People program – This is a free, 12-week program of personalized strength training for those who have osteoporosis, low bone density or at risk to improve muscle strength and nutrition. Call for an appointment.
St. Joe’s at the Mall is a SilverSneakers site. Those with the Medicare Part C plan, may be eligible for free use of the facility. Call 330-652-7542 or stop in for more information.
March is Colon Cancer Awareness Month – Stop by and receive a free colorectal cancer self-screening kit while the supply lasts.
- SPECIAL LAB EXPRESS, 9 to 11 a.m. Wednesday – Get a lipid panel (cholesterol) and/or PSA. Lipid panel requires a 12-hour fast. These are the only labs available this day. Walk in.
- SPECIAL PROGRAM ON NUTRITION AND BONE HEALTH, 1 to 2 p.m. today- Donna Kopas will be speaking on this subject for all ages. Call to register.
- FREE CAROTID ARTERIES OR ABDOMINAL AORTIC ANERUYSM SCREENING, 8:30 a.m. to noon Wednesday – for those at risk and who meet criteria. By appointment only.
NORTHSIDE MEDICAL CENTER
Community Calendar for April
- Thursday, 2:30 to 4 p.m. – Our Living with Stroke support group meets at Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital in the Boardroom on the first Thursday of every month. All stroke survivors and their families are welcome to attend. For more information, call 330-841-3891.
- Saturday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. – One Day Childbirth Class is designed to accommodate parents whose busy schedules may make it difficult to attend the two-week course. The information presented in the One-Day Childbirth Class is the same as that of the two-week series but it is addressed at a faster pace. To register for Northside Medical Center classes, call 330-884-2912.
- Monday, 5 to 7 p.m. – The Mahoning Valley Spinal Cord Injury Support Group meets the second Monday of every month in the Occupational Therapy Department at Hillside Rehabilitation Hospital. All spinal cord injury patients and their family and friends are welcome. The goals of the group are to assist disabled people in finding programs and agencies that can assist them and provide social activities for all who attend. For more information, call Todd Murdock at 330-544-1411 or by email email@example.com.
- April 9, 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. – Cancer Caregiver Support Group The group meets the second Tuesday of the month at Northside Medical Center, Building B, Radiation Oncology Department. All caregivers are welcome. For more information, call Joyce at 330-652-0071.
- April 9, 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. – Breastfeeding Class – This class provides parents with up-to-date information to help them make the best, informed choice when it comes to breastfeeding a new baby. The class is taught by a lactation consultant and topics include the benefits of human milk, how to begin a feeding program and how to achieve successful nursing. This class meets the second Tuesday of every month. To register for Northside Medical Center classes, call 330-884-2912.
TRUMBULL MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Community Health Calendar
- “WE CARE” PROGRAM, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Fridays, Conference Room B Ground floor: Support group for family and friends covering various topics and needs. Call 330-841-1917 for additional information.
- Diabetes Day Group class series 2 to 3 p.m. today and 1:30 to 3 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday in Room 905. Call Diabetes Department at 330-841-9689 to register. Physician referral required.
- Pre-Op Knee Class 10:30 a.m. today, The Education Room, eighth floor. Call Julia at 330-841-9162.
- Pre-Op Hip Class, 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, The Education Room. Call Julia at 330-841-9162.
- Diabetes Support Group, 1 p.m. Monday, Conference Room F.
- Look Good, Feel Better, 6-8 p.m. Monday, TMH Medical Professional Building, 1353 East Market Street Warren. Free program for women in cancer treatment. Call 800-227-2345 to register.
- Senior Circle, 11:30 a.m, April 9, Tom Jones, M.D., Board Certified Orthopedic Surgeon, will talk about Hip Fractures Call 330-841-5665 by Friday to register.
- Women’s Cancer Journey Support Group, 6:30 p.m. April 10, TMH Medical Professional Building. Open to all cancer patients.For additional information call 330-841-1962.
- Saturday Lamaze in a Day, 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. April 13. Prepares mothers-to-be and their partners for a shared learning experience. In addition to learning Lamaze techniques, class attendants will receive important information about pregnancy, labor and delivery. Call Educational Services at 330-841-9880 to register.