WARREN - Five people, including a baby, escaped a fire around 7:30 p.m. today that neighbors said started in the kitchen of a second-floor apartment at 319 Parkman Road N.W.
No injuries were reported and the fire appeared to be contained by 7:45 p.m.
Warren fire Capt. Bill Monrean said at the scene that a fire investigator was en route and that more information would likely be available today regarding the cause of the blaze.
A call was made from the house at 7:24 p.m. after Isaiah Gonzalez, who lives on the second floor of the house with his girlfriend, Clarice Kozak, their 6-month-old daughter and Kozak's sister, Amber Finney, said their kitchen caught fire while they prepared dinner.
Kozak said there were multiple smoke detectors installed in the house, but the alarms did not go off until the fire was already well out of control.
"Only one of the alarms went off, but by the time it did, the entire back wall of the kitchen was already on fire," Kozak said. "Thankfully, we were in the farthest away room in the house when the alarm went off."
The couple immediately fled the house, alerting downstairs resident Donna Herttua to get outside.
"I didn't know what was going on at first," Herttua said. "(Kozak and Gonzalez) just told me to get out because the building was on fire."
Herttua owned a dog, which escaped the fire unharmed, as well as several cats. The cats were unaccounted for Wednesday evening, with neighbors reporting they fled during the fire.